Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Friday, September 17, 2004

Obligatory First Post

Welcome to my blog! As tradition requires, I plan on rambling on a while, then posting, then looking at my page, then realizing I've spelled something wrong, then spending the rest of the night figuring out how to change it.
Who am I? I'm a recently retired submarine officer who finally feels free of the (mostly self-imposed) restrictions regarding public speech by military officers. I've been lurking on the blogosphere for about a year and a half, and like about 3 million others, feel the need to share my thoughts with whoever visits (hopefully, at least my family... Hi, Mom!).
Why does this blog exist? This blog has a three-fold purpose: 1) To be the one-stop shop in the blogosphere for any submarine-related news item that somehow makes it into the public domain. Don't look here for anything classified, though... just because I post it, doesn't mean that it's true. I'll try to give my best guess about whether or not the referenced article is at all accurate, or (more likely) why the writer doesn't know his ass from his elbow when it comes to submarines. 2) When submarine news is slow (as it normally is) I plan on exposing, mocking, and holding up to ridicule any particularly stupid items that get put out by the chattering classes (pajama-clad or mainstream). Does this mean that my opinion is any better than anyone elses? It depends on how you define "better". If it means "contains at least a little logic and some realistic knowledge of how the world really works" then I hope the answer will be yes.
And finally, this blog will 3) fulfill a promise I made to my sons to start a blog as soon as I got out of the Navy. They think that Frank J. is really cool, and hopefully this will make them think that I am too.
What's up with the title? The phrase "The Stupid Shall Be Punished" is a common one in the submarine world. Basically, it means that people who do or say stupid things can expect to get called on it. To me, this also seems to epitomize the spirit of the blogosphere, which I humbly join with this post...

Going deep...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joel,
Love the site. You're making good use of your time since your retirement. Informative articles and I look forward to visiting as I'm a virgin "blogger"
Hope this finds you and the family well in Boise.
Jason

9/24/2004 9:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joel,
Hey Shipmate! I'm retired now too, but remain in Ledyard until youngest graduates...only three years left until Arizona bound!
Great, and I mean GREAT site! Keep it coming!
Gordo

4/25/2007 6:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gordo,

It's now 2010. Did you make it to Az in 2007?

9/29/2010 12:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home