Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Friday, June 17, 2005

"Ye Shall Know Them By Their Fruit (Salad)"

bothenook has found another sub-blogger, Submarine Sailor; Bradley is assigned to the USS Providence (SSN-719). Via his blog, I found a kewl web site that lets you generate a graphic of your Navy ribbons (less the repeat stars and such) and shows you the order of precedence if you're not sure. The ribbon rack someone in the military wears (also called a "fruit salad") is a pretty good way of seeing at a glance where someone's been and what they've done. For instance, if you see a guy with dolphins and a Navy Expeditionary Medal, you can be pretty sure he's been on a "mission vital to national security". If you see a shore-duty LT with only one NAM and no NCMs, you can bet he was on a boomer. Things like that...

Going deep...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

13 years, 5 boats, 6 Expeditionary medals and not a single real mission under my belt. All we ever did were field days and ORSE work ups in overseas waters. This is why I threw all my medals in the trash.

6/17/2005 6:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This "dorky" landlubber stole your link for her military page! Thanks for finding it!

6/18/2005 12:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bernie,
Who the hell pissed in your wheaties?
Unkawill

6/19/2005 1:09 PM

 
Blogger Skippy-san said...

We took a vote and gave you a meme.
See : http://fareastcynic.blogspot.com/2005/06/leave-it-to-blackshoe.html

6/20/2005 7:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do I post here?
To ruffle the feathers of all the wannabe's and hasbeens

6/20/2005 8:01 PM

 
Blogger WillyShake said...

Very kewl link there! I found myself playing around with it as well; guess I'm not alone! I have long had a fictional character in mind (a former enlisted submariner turned SEAL) and I used this site to help envision him in uniform.

Thanks for sharing.

6/21/2005 2:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home