Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Saturday, April 21, 2007

PCU North Carolina (SSN 777) To Be Christened

The Virginia-class submarine North Carolina will be christened at Newport News Shipyard this morning; you can watch the webcast live at this site at 1100 EDT.

More information on the christening is here. I'm especially excited by this ceremony because the mother of one of my old shipmates from USS Topeka is the ship's sponsor.

Staying at PD...

Update 1004 21 Apr: The bottle was broken in fine style; I tried to get a screen capture of it, but I find my computer skillz were lacking as far as converting it to a normal .jpg. All of the Microsoft products I use are so intertwined that they put the on-going video feed into whatever program I tried to paste my "Print Screen" image to -- even MS Paint. Oh, well, there will be pictures coming out soon from the shipyard. When they come out, I assume they'll be posted here; while you're there, check out this picture that shows the dihedrals and WAA panels fairly well for those who haven't seen them before.

For those who missed the live broadcast, the video is supposed to still be available for a year; I'm assuming it will be at the same link.

Update 1820 21 Apr: The archived video is now up at the link above, and they released a couple of pictures, including the obligatory one of the champagne shower:

BZ, Mrs. Bowman -- well done!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home