Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Submariners And Marching -- An Unholy Combination

Remember when your boat would have to get ready for some military ceremony where the crew was expected to do things like "right face", "dress right -- dress!", and "parade rest"? Remember how it was totally obvious that anything having to do with marching is the first thing submariners forget once they get out of boot camp?

The crew of USS Providence (SSN 719) endured the horror of being expected to march down a city street -- with people actually watching! -- this 4th of July. They attended the country's oldest continuous Independence Day celebration in Bristol, R.I.:

Despite the traditional problems submariners have with marching, it looks to me like they're doing pretty good (in this picture, at least) with things like staying in a straight line and whatnot. BZ, men of the Providence!

Bell-ringer 2334 07 July: Lubber's Line was at the parade, and has much, much more at his place.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They must have had a refresher course in marching. Are you sure this is the crew? Interesting picture.

7/07/2007 2:01 PM

 
Blogger Lubber's Line said...

Bubblehead, I chauffeured one of the WWII subvets in my truck in front of the Providence crew during the parade. You’re right when you think of marching; submariners are not the first thing that comes to mind, but the crew did their best. With the occasional look in my rear view mirror I spied an entire shift to the left or right to realign themselves to the center of the road. More like a leisurely walk I would describe.

If you’re interested stop by my blog I have post up on the parade and those submariners that participated. Here’s a link to a better photo of the crew.


Best,
-LL

7/07/2007 8:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can remember every time we would muster in front of the off crew office for fly away to Rota or Holy Loch the CO would always want us to do that whole "stand in formation thing". It would usually start with the standard commands "ten shun", "dress right dress" etc.., but would soon boil down to the COB giving commands such as "ok you stand here and you here", "all you guys stand with your toes on that line", or other equally military type commands that are usually reserved for a group of kindergarteners. I am sure there were more than a few moans from the crew when they found out they had to march that day...

7/08/2007 7:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ET2(SS) Lene USS Providence. First off I'd like to say awesome job on the flicks. Everyone on board loves them. Especially to make fun of nukes. However I can assure you there were no rehearsals on marching prior to this event. As far as "a few moans..." Yes and no. lets just say I was lucky to stand two watches on duty that day!

7/27/2007 8:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home