Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Broadside Cartoons, Submarine Style

CDR Salamander has up his weekly posting of a Broadside cartoon, and it was so good I had to steal it for myself:

I wish I knew where he was getting them from; the cartoons don't seem to be showing up at military.com anymore, and I don't think Navy Times carries them anymore either. If I could, I'd link to the author's homepage, but my Googling "skillz" failed me tonight, because I couldn't find one. Instead, I'll give you a link for one of his books on Amazon. (Also, since I stole CDR S.'s image, you should go visit his blog as well.)

From another submariner's website, I stole these four additional submarine-related Broadside cartoons that always make me chuckle and guffaw when I see them...





Those wild and wacky bubbleheads'll make you laugh every time...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

BH, I'm no slouch at web searches...I suspect that Jeff Bacon either sells his cartoons via books, or has an exclusive web distribution with Military.com

1/15/2006 9:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get the last one. Are they supposed to be imitating periscopes, or are they acting like they're holding onto an overhead pipe (which in my experience is the standard posture when swapping stories or otherwise not actively doing anything at the moment on a boat)?

1/16/2006 10:27 AM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

They're using their hands to describe looking out the periscope, like you thought; kind of a take-off on aviators using their hands to describe their dogfights...

1/16/2006 6:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once again, it takes a retired spook divoff rider (and former skimmer ASW officer, to boot)to make you guys look good...
http://www.military.com/cartooncontent/0,14763,Broadside_Index,00.html
[You may need to register @ http://www.military.com/Registration/QuickRegistration?member_internal_source=&strGotoURL=http%3A//www.military.com/Broadside first]

Thanks for letting me drink your water, breathe your air, and have some of the best times of my life (all 6 patrols) back in the early 80's.
Great website!
Pseudopod

1/16/2006 8:39 PM

 
Blogger Steel Sharks said...

No matter what country you serve or what type of boat you serve on, all submariners have a bond and one that lasts an eternity. I enjoyed the cartoons and will be keeping an eye on your site, Thanks.

1/04/2007 2:43 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

try navybroadside.com

1/09/2007 6:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jepp Bacon's has his own site http://www.broadside.net/. It not only has the latest cartoon, but also a great archive listing. I use them as a backshot for the screen at work.

7/30/2008 9:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home