Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Rough Seas Hamper Rescue

This article in The Scotsman has some in-depth guesses about the potential cause of the fire. One thing they mention that I hadn't considered was "drill errors"; in this case, it means errors while conducting casualty exercises for training (as opposed to making a hole in the side of an electrical switchboard with an electric drill, although I suppose that could give a similar result). One thing that surprises me is that they haven't been able to restore at least part of the electric plant yet. If I were designing a submarine, I think I would like to include some redundancy, and maybe some electrical disconnects that could isolate the undamaged portion of the electrical plant in the event of a fire...

Update: From CNN, three injured crewmembers evacuated by helicopter.

New Update: CBC reports one Sailor from the submarine died. It doesn't say if the injuries may have been exacerbated by the personnel transfer; however, they are risky even in the best of circumstances. My thoughts are with this brave submariner's family and crewmates. Sailor, rest your oar...

Going deep...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home