Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Dolphins in 30 Days...

This concerns me a bit. I'll say at the beginning that I don't want to question the integrity of the Tuscon's qual program, but this story from Navy News says that an MM2 received his dolphins after only 30 days aboard USS Tucson (SSN 770). I could see it if he went to another boat first, but there's no indication that he did. Ignoring the obvious idiocies in the story (like "Massie attributed his rapid qualification to working with 637-class training submarines in Charleston, N.C., before reporting to the boat.") he's obviously a Nuke who worked on one of the two old Boomers set up as MTSs in Goose Creek, SOUTH Carolina -- so either the SubPac JO2 who wrote the story doesn't have a clue and misquoted him, or this newly-qualified submariner doesn't know the difference between an old boomer and a fast boat. I'd guess the former -- I assume Massie knew he was really in South Carolina for the nuke pipeline. (Or, we really have random 637s sitting around Charleston available for random Sailors to train on that I had no idea existed.) Again, I don't mean to question the integrity of the Tucson's qual program, but this does seem a little fast to me... since you have to qualify an inport and at-sea watchstation, I'm assuming he's an ELT, since that's really the only legitimate way you can get both watchstations done that quick (ELT counts for both...) I guess the only thing I can really say is "Congratulations, MM2(SS) Massie." The story also mentions an MMFN that qualified in two months, and the SubPac website has a picture of him under the News heading. Any thoughts on this in the comments would be greatly appreciated -- I'm really kind of conflicted on this one, and I feel upset with myself for feeling this way.
The intel source for this story, BTW, was The Sub Report, who is now at a new URL (www.thesubreport.com).

Going Deep...

Update 2206 15 March: There's some good discussion on this issue over at Ron Martini's BBS, here and here. Also, one of the comments there let me know that I'd mis-spelled "Tucson", so I corrected it in the entry above. It appears that the verbiage for the picture I linked to above that originally said it showed the MMFN has now been changed to say it shows MM2(SS) Massie. Finally, some of the commenters over at Martini's place say it's not a big deal, since he worked on the 637 class subs in Charleston. As I mentioned above, as far as I know there is no such thing, and the Moored Training Ships there have the front part of the boats completed scooped out and replaced with MTS-specific equipment, such that I'd guess that maybe 5% or less of the systems are the same as you'd find on an actual submarine.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought there was a minimum time aboard requirement to prevent something like this from happening. I didn't think it could be done (per regs) any sooner than 3 months or so. And if the guy is a nuke, he had to get his engineering quals done too. Just ELT wouldn't cut it, it would have to be an actual watchstation. But then again, I have been out six years and it has been over a decade since I got my dolphins.

I do know that we had a MM1/SW come over from one of the decommed nuke cruisers and even he didn't qualify that quick.

3/15/2005 9:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Qualifying in 30 days is a phenomenal task. I have to ask how many grapes were received. I work in Combat Systems at Pearl and I am still learning the interlocks for the tubes (21 years active Duty and 3 years PHNSY Combat Systems Engineering Technician). The photo that was published at http://www.csp.navy.mil/news/tucdolphin.html shows him in the Torpedo Room attempting to remove a Breech Door Connector (not opening the door or do anything else).

As for qualifying in 30 days, my money is on the fact that he is light. Unfortunately and fortunately, you must prove your knowledge of the boat (heavy) to qualify.

I have to go with NUB until prove differently.

Rat Bastard
Qualified, 16 March 1983

3/15/2005 10:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been worried about the quals program since reporting onboard USS Honolulu (SSN-718) in the late 80's. I initially qualified on USS Barbel (SS-580) in 1981. My qual board lasted 8 grueling hours. I was questioned on EVERY system on the boat. On the Hono, qual boards were not to last longer than 2 hours and you were only allowed to question the non-qual on (i think) 3 systems. Always made me nervous. I have one additional comment. DAMN those 688I's look funny with no sailplanes!
Squidlips

3/16/2005 6:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I qualified on the LA in 93 days and that was tough as hell. I was an ST with a great rapport with a few key nukes back aft. No grapes on my card, just the right people taking me under their wings and helping me.

8/15/2013 7:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home