Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Cold War Sub Mission Brief

(Intel Source: Martini's BBS) As part of the Submarine Centennial five years ago, one of the missions of the USS Batfish (SSN-681) was partially declassified to let the public know part of what really happened during the Cold War. Although I'd like to see more patrols declassified, it's still nice to be able to read about this one, from the March 2001 Smithsonian Magazine (11 page Adobe document). The official Smitsonian Magazine link is here.

Going deep...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have heard 637 class of sub was better than 688. I wonder if that is true?

4/06/2005 2:58 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did my qual ride on the Batfish (which is kind of funny 'cus it's a long hull which I wasn't familiar with)...

637's were obviously better under ice. They were probably better at spying, but that's only because of the equipment that some of these boats got...

JFH

4/06/2005 3:45 PM

 
Blogger bothenook said...

not to change the subject, but i'm just checking to see if joel is around. i read THIS and wondered if he was caught up in the dragnet.

4/06/2005 4:08 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

Nope -- they're only arresting the "models", not the "artists", so I'm safe...

4/06/2005 4:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home