Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

HMS Invincible Retiring

(Intel source: NOSI) Just read a story about the upcoming retirement of the aircraft carrier HMS Invincible. I was on her for a few hours back in 2000, when I was in the Arabian Gulf on the USS John C. Stennis. I heloed over with the Battle Group Commander and met with their submarine planning guys (including the American submariner assigned to their Battle Group staff -- don't think that was an easy job, the guy was out to sea almost continuously, since the UK only had one BG staff for their three Battle Groups; the staff rotated to each deployed carrier in turn.) It was quite nice, although my buddies were a little pissed that me, a non-drinker, got to go to the Brit warship -- seeing that alcohol was served on board. The young woman who worked in the ship's store there asked me for my dolphins, but I had to politely decline, explaining to my Brit hosts that there's only one thing that will cause an American submariner to give his dolphins to a lady, and since I was married, and she was enlisted, it wasn't going to happen. They explained that the British ships actually had civilians riding and doing these tasks -- but I was still married, so she didn't get my dolphins...

Going deep...

3 Comments:

Blogger Bubblehead said...

The dancing-on-the-bar deployment was in '92; I stopped drinking between then and the '00 deployment I did on Stennis. Not that I still didn't have fun on the "dry" deployment; plus, I got to see things other than the waterfront bars... (From that deployment, one of our intel guys produced a "handy translation guide" for Malaysia that included the Malay phrase for *My toilet is full of beer*.)

8/02/2005 4:46 PM

 
Blogger Skippy-san said...

Too bad the young lady could not have "earned" her dolphins. Think what a sea story that would have been........

8/03/2005 2:48 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

"So there I was, on a Brit warship, my pants around my ankles..."

8/03/2005 10:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home