Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

42 Years Ago Today...

From President Kennedy's Inaugural Address:

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country.
"My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man."


I was 3 months old when President Kennedy was martyred, so I don't remember anything about it. I do remember five years later, though, going into my parent's room to find my Mom crying on the bed over the similar fate suffered by his brother. Not because she loved his politics, but rather because of the snuffing out too early of the promise that these brothers showed, and the ideal of public service that they represented.

I remember back in 1999, when JFK Jr. was lost. There were people complaining that Navy assets were being used to search for his plane, wondering if a normal citizen would get the same attention. At the time, I wished the Navy would have said: "No, but we'd do the same for any namesake son of a martyred Commander in Chief. So f**k off." It's probably a good thing I wasn't a Navy spokesman back then...

Sailor, rest your oar...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home