Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Sub-Themed TV Episode Tonight

Tonight is the finale of a two-part episode of Commander in Chief on ABC; I discussed the first part last week. I plan on watching tonight's episode to see if they can top their technical -- what is the plural of faux pas anyway? -- "mistakes" of last week (scrubbers being used to convert seawater to oxygen, voice comms over ELF). I'll be back later with a recap -- probably after it airs on the West Coast, but forgetting, like most people, that there are still people west of California who won't have seen it yet.

That is, if the Blogger server holds up -- it's pretty squirrelly tonight. I also have the Desk and the Chair for the new update over at Ultraquiet No More that we're doing to fill in for The Sub Report this week...

Update 2143 17 Jan: Didn't watch the whole thing closely (was trying to remember how to do slope-intercept equations to help with homework) but I saw most of it. Main thing I noticed was both the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs and the President talking about Navy "battleships" when "warships" was appropriate -- "Battleships" are a specific class of ship that no one has anymore. I'll have to go back to my Tivo to see if the O2 level graphic they had up showed oxygen percentage at about 6%, like it appeared, or if that was actually time left that the crew had usable breathing air. (If I remember right, you pass out at about 13% [O2].) They might have discussed it last week, but their claim that we couldn't get a DSRV there in more than one day is wrong; our DSRVs are able to get to any airstrip in the world in 24 hours...

Update 2325 17 Jan: Fast-forwarded through it again to see what I missed. The O2 graphic was on a scale of 0-100%, which is meaningless; it indicated about 70%, and had "critical" written above the bar at about 25%. One other humorous thing that I noticed was that when they showed the disposition of the U.S. ships near the rescue area, both the carrier and the supply ship had been driven to within about 5 miles of the North Korean "fleet" -- a highly stupid move in real life. All in all, though, I didn't think it was too bad, considering. I've seen worse (like any episode of JAG that featured submarines).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like how they named the SSGN the "USS Seattle" which, in real life, was a fast combat support ship (AOE) of the Sacremento-class, decommed in March of last year.

1/18/2006 8:22 PM

 
Blogger G-Man said...

I suppose that the tv programs "Angel" and "The Simpsons" didn't get on the list of what to watch.

As I'm "on the road" my wife copies parts of the programs doing with sailors, submariners, and of course, the reference to the Navy.
Interesting montage of sorts,

1/24/2006 10:24 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home