Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

On This Day In...

April 19, 1983: Our embassy in Beirut was digging out after a car bombing that killed 63, including 17 Americans. I didn't hear about it right away, because I was on my way to boot camp in Great Lakes. I arrived about 7pm on the bus from O'Hare, and the standard boot camp "shock and awe" (at least it was standard back then) started immediately. "They just bombed our embassy. We're going to war!" one of the inprocessing Company Commanders yelled. I was a little bit scared...

April 19, 1993: I'd just finished taking the written portion of the PNEO exam (which they then administered at Naval Reactors HQ in Crystal City), and was walking around with my best friend from high school, who lived in Virginia. On a TV, we saw that the Branch Davidian compound in Waco had caught fire. I thought it was too bad, but didn't see that it would really be that much of a deal in the big scheme of things. I had the oral portion of the Engineer's Exam to worry about.

April 19, 1995...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

19 APR 1995: I was underway on USS TICONDEROGA, who was acting as REDCROWN, as we were enforcing UN sanctions against the former Yugoslavia. I recall finding out the next day and being really pissed off (even though I was on the DESRON staff, that did not necessarily give me any message traffic priveleges). I remember thinking that here we were, along with the rest of the battle group, out facing potential combat operations and some a**hole decides to blow up a federal building. Still pisses me off...
19 APR 93: Oh, by the way, as you were taking your PNEO exam at NR, I was a couple of weeks into my PNEO course at SUBTRAFAC San Diego (I went to NR in June to take the exam). I had been following the standoff, and figured that this was not good.

4/20/2006 3:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home