Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Compare And Contrast

A quote from Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert yesterday caught my eye:

“When missiles are launched at our residents and our towns, our answer will be war waged at full strength, with all determination, courage and sacrifice.”

For some reason, this reminded me of the famous quote from French Prime Minister Georges Clemenceau in March 1918:

"My home policy: I wage war; my foreign policy: I wage war. All the time I wage war."

Clemenceau actually did wage total war, and went on to win (with quite a bit of help). I wonder if the Israelis will be able to do the same -- and if they do, if they'll have the same problem France did 20-some-odd years afterwards.

My guesses: No, Israel won't wage war "at full strength", and nothing will get solved in this current crisis except that some terrorists who deserve to die will die, as will some innocents who don't deserve to (as happens in any conflict). Maybe Israel should force a "final" (for a generation) showdown with the Syrians and Iranians... but they won't.

I honestly don't know what they should do. I don't offer any solutions... I just raise issues.

(Break -- New topic: I was thinking about the WWI quote because I just finished reading "A World Undone: The Story of the Great War 1914-1918". I've read quite a few WWI books, and this one is the best high-level coverage of the War I've seen.)

1 Comments:

Blogger WillyShake said...

Churchill spoke admiringly of Clemenceau after hearing this speech, saying: "Language, eloquence, arguments were not needed to express the situation. With snarls and growls, the ferocious, aged, dauntless beast of prey went into action."

Later he called him "a tower of strength and courage".

As history would later prove, Churchill was not only admiring Clemenceau, but also taking notes!

7/23/2006 11:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home