Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Friday, December 15, 2006

I'm A Cultural Neanderthal

I admit it -- I'm not evolving into a 21st century man very gracefully. Most of my wife's family went to see The Pursuit of Happyness tonight; I stayed home and baby-sat a nephew who was too young to go. I'd seen enough previews of the movie to know that it featured an Oscar-worthy performance in a story of an underdog who overcomes tremendous odds in a heart-tugging display of wit, determination, and frequent emotionally-charged scenes...

Sorry, I started snoozing just typing that description. Note to Hollywood: if you want to get my demographic (geeky middle-aged men) into the theaters, you should replace "frequent emotionally-charged scenes" with "explosives" -- if they did that, I'd totally be there.

In other movie news, my oldest son (who just got his drivers license yesterday) saw Eragon tonight, and pronounced it "really stupid".

5 Comments:

Blogger Alex Nunez said...

You know what'll straighten all this out. A nice dose of Rocky Balboa on Wed...

12/16/2006 5:22 AM

 
Blogger Dale Courtney said...

I took 14 boys to see Eragon's matinee in Pullman yesterday.

Very, very disappointing.

Stick to the book. That's engaging. But they did the movie low-budget; it was only 1:50 in length (how can you do justice to that kind of fantasy book in such a short time), and the acting was poor.

Yes, quite disappointing.

best,
Dale

12/16/2006 6:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you described is a... chickflick. The fact that it had Will Smith in it I think fools us all, after movies like I Robot, MIB, Independance Day, Wild West, Bad Boys, yada yada yada.

It been clinically proven that chickflicks reduce testosterone levels, so way to go in dodging that bullet, BH. It's almost like kryptonite on Superman...

Need... explosions... (Uhhhhn)

Must... get... away... from... girly... movies... (Grunt)

Must... have... multiple... machinegun... fire... and... long... carchasescenes... (gasp)

12/16/2006 10:14 AM

 
Blogger Fred said...

I know I don't fit in the "geeky middle-aged man" category--though I do fall into the "geeky man" category--but don't you think explosions would be better if accompanied by half-naked females?

Maybe there really is a very steep drop in testosterone upon retirement, which would explain your fixation on explosions and not the half-naked babes.

And to you guys who know about Eragon.. did the author just make a typo, and then decide not to change it?

12/16/2006 2:52 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

Young Genest -- you'll soon learn that it's much easier to explain to one's blog-reading wife why we don't like something than explain why we do like something else.

12/17/2006 9:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home