Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

President Ford Passes

President Gerald R. Ford passed away today, according to CNN and early news accounts. He was the 4th of five consecutive Presidents with a naval background; during WWII, he served on the light carrier USS Monterey (CVL-26).

Sailor, rest your oar.

Update 2227 26 Dec: Here are some more pictures from President Ford's naval service. I think more than any other, this quote from his library's home page shows why Gerald Ford was the right man to be President in the tumultuous mid-'70s, and why he was the epitome of a "public servant":
I have not sought this enormous responsibility, but I will not shirk it. Those who nominated and confirmed me as Vice President were my friends and are my friends. They were of both parties, elected by all the people and acting under the Constitution in their name. It is only fitting then that I should pledge to them and to you that I will be the President of all the people.
Update 0810 27 Dec: Michelle Malkin has a very good round-up of links on President Ford. On the other side of the 'sphere, the DUers were all proud of themselves last night for how respectful they were being. This morning, not so much. (And for those who were wondering after reading that last link -- no, President Ford did not pardon Dick Cheney or Donald Rumsfeld, despite "matcom" 's claim to the contrary.)

Update 2210 27 Dec: Here's the Navy NewsStand story on President Ford's death.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Ford always struck me as a good guy.

12/27/2006 3:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home