Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Rock Chalk Battle "E"!

Thought I'd take a quick break from celebrating the athletic prowess of my alma mater (Orange Bowl win in football, undefeated in basketball) and post the submarine Battle "E" results:
SUBRON 1 (Pearl Harbor) – USS Los Angeles (SSN 688);
SUBRON 2 (Groton, Conn.) – USS Philadelphia (SSN 690);
SUBRON 3 (Pearl Harbor) – USS Key West (SSN 722);
SUBRON 4 (New London) – USS Miami (SSN 755);
SUBDEVRON 5 (Bangor, Wash.) – USS Jimmy Carter (SSN 23);
SUBRON 6 (Norfolk) – USS Scranton (SSN 756);
SUBRON 7 (Pearl Harbor) – USS Cheyenne (SSN 773);
SUBRON 8 (Norfolk) – USS Boise (SSN 764);
SUBRON 11 (San Diego) – USS Topeka (SSN 754);
SUBDEVRON 12 (Groton) – USS San Juan (SSN 751);
SUBRON 15 (Guam) – USS Houston (SSN 713);
SUBRON 16 (Kings Bay, Ga.) – USS Florida (Blue and Gold) (SSGN 728);
SUBRON 17 (Bangor, Wash.) – USS Louisiana (Blue and Gold) (SSBN 743);
SUBRON 19 (Bangor) – USS Maine (Blue and Gold) (SSBN 741);
SUBRON 20 (Kings Bay) – USS Rhode Island (Blue and Gold) (SSBN 740).
The winners in submarine force special categories are: the torpedo retriever Porpoise (TWR 823), homeported in San Diego; the floating dry dock Arco (ARDM 5), homeported in San Diego; the deep submergence research and ocean engineering submarine NR-1, homeported in Groton; the submarine tender USS Frank Cable (AS 40), homeported in Guam; and the submarine tender USS Emory S. Land (AS 39), homeported in Bangor.
Congratulations to all the winners! I'm glad to see two of my old boats [USS Topeka and USS Jimmy Carter] on the list, as well as two boats captained by old Topeka shipmates [USS Cheyenne and USS Maine(B)]. It's also nice to see Idaho submarining represented on the list by USS Boise. Blunoz has the message from SubPac along with a good discussion on the importance of the Battle "E".

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was proud to recieve every department award we got during my sea tours, and I'm especially proud that four out of the five submarines I served on won the Big E.
- USS Daniel Webster ('86)
- USS Pennsylvania ('91)
- USS Nebraska ('96)
- USS Rhode Island ('98)

The Battle "E" was one of the few things on my uniform that I felt I actually earned - besides my treasured, coveted, and as my father once said to me "almost sacred" Dolphins, of course.

1/04/2008 6:44 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to see my last boat (BOISE) is still doing well. I know we kicked but during construction and the initial sea periods prior to PSA.

1/04/2008 7:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When did USS Emory S. Land (AS 39) move from LaMadd to Bangor?

Pete

1/04/2008 7:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rock chalk Jayhalk way to go KU!!!

1/04/2008 1:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a hard one for the Carter, up against all those other boats in SUBDEVRON 5. We had a lot of competition when I was on the Parche too.

1/04/2008 3:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Imagine a hard luck ship like Houston winning the Battle E finally. Very glad to see that. They were good guys when I was CSS-3 Engineer and they came out of the shipyard. But they alweays seemed to have a tough time getting traction. Nevertheless, I'm glad to see their efforts paid off.

Well done.

Subsunk

1/05/2008 6:31 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

USS Emory S. Land (AS 39) pulled into its new homeport at Bremerton's Delta Pier on Naval Base (NB) Kitsap, Nov. 29.

Emory S. Land moved to Bremerton from La Maddalena, Italy, to utilize NB Kitsap's overhaul facilities. The ship will be transformed and renovated to a hybrid Military Sealift Command (MSC) ship in the future.


http://mt-milcom.blogspot.com/2007/12/uss-emory-s-land-arrives-at-new.html

1/05/2008 9:06 AM

 
Blogger blunoz said...

WRT JIMMY CARTER, the SEA WOLF and the CONNECTICUT are also now assigned to COMSUBDEVRON 5 up there in Bremerton (CONNECTICUT at the completion of their WESTPAC deployment), so it in future years it won't be a given that the CARTER gets the Battle E by default anymore.

1/05/2008 10:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Off topic, way off topic but:

Remember the stupidest post in the world? We had a great thread with you guys where we learned a lot about submarines and submariners.

So, I'm reaching out to you for your take on ... Barack Obama. What's the first thing that comes to your mind? Would you vote for him? Would your family or your friends? Thanks....

ADMIN: Please feel free to delete if this comment is against policy. TIA.

1/05/2008 2:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just heard from an old friend, who happens to COB of the USS FLORIDA (G)! Congrats Andy to you and your crew!

1/05/2008 6:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Lambert Strether

Lay off the political questions. From the perspective of an active duty Naval Officer, I say that it is inappropriate for us to condone or refute a particular political candidate. What if we have negative commentary on the eventual winner? What does that say about military support to a future commander in chief (now for you retired/separated folks - hack away)?

I personally follow the Marshall and Patton Political philosophy, in which I neither vote nor comment on political candidates.

I find commentary on particular political candidates in this forum inappropriate, especially when the military is already assumed to be excessively conservative and right-wing. Tends to remove free political discussion.

1/06/2008 1:46 AM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

Actually, as a retired guy, I don't mind injecting politics into this blog, although I understand if the active duty guys want to shy away from it. (That's one of the reasons I didn't start blogging until I was on terminal leave.) I tend to separate my political posts from the submarine-specific ones, but sometimes they overlap.

As far as Sen. Obama goes, he's way too liberal for my tastes, and I think he really doesn't have the experience needed to be Commander-in Chief during wartime. However, if he had 4 years as Vice President under his belt, or spent some time on the Senate Armed Services committee, I would withdraw that objection. I can't see myself ever voting for him, but I don't think he'd destroy the country as VP. I think his odds of being elected President this year are negligible (assuming that the Republicans are smart and nominate someone other than Huckabee or Romney, i.e. McCain -- my choice -- or Giuliani), so I'm not too worried about that.

1/06/2008 8:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hell yeah, San Juan! Wish i were still there for that one...not really.
It's about time!

1/07/2008 12:06 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Bubblehead and the prior anon that presidential politics are best left alone amongst the active duty folks. For those who have never served: members of the military take their oaths to support and defend the Constitution quite seriously; whoever the new Commander-in-Chief is will be supported. Period.

Having said that, I also completely agree with Bubblehead regarding Obama's lack of qualifications & experience. In my opinion, he will not be taken as a serious presidential candidate by the general public.

And having said that: I don't see much depth on the presidential candidate benches on either side of the playing field.

Speaking as a 50+ year-old, this is the weakest group of contenders that I can recall having ever seen. It's regrettable that Robert Gates (Republican) and Colin Powell (switching-to/surfacing-as a Democrat) aren't running...we need someone of their calibre.

1/07/2008 6:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home