Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Movie Review: "Where The Wild Things Are"

I went with my wife, sister-in-law, and 4-year-old nephew to see the new movie "Where The Wild Things Are" yesterday morning. I'd read this beloved book (written the year I was born) to my kids frequently, and always put on a really good performance of my favorite lines:
They roared their terrible roars,
And gnashed their terrible teeth,
And rolled their terrible eyes,
And showed their terrible claws...
This movie didn't feature teeth gnashing or eye rolling, but it gave us something more -- a really good film that really young kids will like while their parents are getting an emotional roller coaster ride. The pre-schooler loved it, and both the ladies with me admitted to being in tears at points. (I just got something in my eyes.) Kids over 8 years old, however, might find it a little too intense.

The movie works on many levels. It explains why Max makes mischief of one kind and another (a broken home and unhappy childhood) and spells out -- without shoving it in your face -- how the Wild Things are manifestations of the people and feelings in his life. The CGI and voice acting were incredible; the Wild Things seemed as real as the boy. It was the adaptation of the story that will cause the most controversy; this movie really isn't aimed at kids, even though the advertising campaign seems to be. Will children from unhappy homes leave the theater in tears? Will they emulate Max in making mischief? They might, but they might have done that even without seeing the movie. For parents who are worried about how the film might affect their more sensitive kids, I'd suggest seeing it yourself first -- you'll have a first-rate theater-going experience even if you decide not to take your children. I give this movie four Wild Rumpuses out of five.

10 Comments:

Blogger Seawolf said...

The CGI seemed as real as the boy because it wasn't CGI. Those were costumes and puppets. I heard the director talk about it on NPR.

CS1(SS)

10/17/2009 8:45 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

But the facial expressions and mouth movements had to be CGI.

10/17/2009 9:04 PM

 
Blogger Andrew said...

Thanks for a really done review. My sixteen year old daughter went and loved it. She agreed it may be too intense for some kids.

The advertising for this have really sent me back in time with great joy.

Based on what you and my daughter have to say about the movie, I will definitely go.

10/17/2009 9:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see it. I loved Where the Wild Things Are when I was little, and have been looking forward to the movie since I first saw the trailers.

10/18/2009 12:15 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No nudity? No sex? No senseless killing? And you paid to see this?!

10/18/2009 5:07 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I wasn't impressed......

10/18/2009 6:49 PM

 
Anonymous pauljose said...

"Where the Dysfunctional Things Are"...

10/19/2009 1:54 AM

 
Anonymous Samantha K said...

If i was younger, this movie would have given me nightmares... I don't understand how they thought this movie would be in any way appealing to kids

10/26/2009 1:47 AM

 
Anonymous Hortense said...

Wow, there is a great deal of effective material above!

8/25/2012 11:01 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3/08/2013 11:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home