Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Saturday, February 26, 2011

A Bad Way To End A Night On The Town

From the NBC San Diego website:
One sailor was shot by Navy police and another was taken into custody uninjured after they allegedly smashed their vehicle into two Navy police units during a chase on the San Diego Naval Base early Saturday morning...
...Between 1 and 1:30 a.m., the Navy confirmed the two sailors, whose names have not been released, arrived at the Naval Base gate where they were stopped due to a "very strong suspicion" for drunk driving.
The gate guard called Navy dispatch, but instead of waiting for Navy officers to arrive on scene, the sailors sped off, and a small vehicle chase began...
... The two sailors approached another Navy gate, but per Navy security protocol, the gate was shut down. O'Rourke said the sailors then smashed into two police units, and as they attempted to smash into a third, officers fired upon their vehicle...
The injured Sailor is in stable condition. Have you ever had an unfortunate run-in with base Rent-a-Cops or active duty gate guards?


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Late 1983 I was at NPS Orlando and heading out of the nuke gate (Maguire gate) to go to a midnight movie at the Fashion Square Mall. I rolled through the last stop sign in the maze in my 1981 AMC Spirit hatchback. Immediately the dark night erupted into red and blue light at one of the base police Chevy Citations, parked by the Auto Shop, began its chase.

I don't know why but I punched it and drove through the open gate while the stunned gate guard stood watching me leave. The lights at Maguire and Bennett were red in all directions and I went through the intersection as the Citation came out the gate and stopped.

My friend and I skipped the Fashion Show Mall and headed south on surface streets just to think things through and talk about it. We were scared. Finally we developed a plan just to drive by and check things out. Maguire gate was closed, as were all of the gates except the main gate. Even at 0200 there was traffic backed up out the gate as they were stopping each car coming in. We decided to get in line and face the consequences if caught. As we got closer we noticed that the cars that were being pulled over for further interigation were 280Z's, Celicas, and higher end 2-door hatchbacks. We were waved in with a basic ID and obligatory sobriety check.


2/26/2011 2:42 PM

Anonymous Pops said...

Cou;d these two be senior PO's? The last time I was at San Diego, only E-6 and above could bring their vehicles on base.

2/26/2011 4:35 PM

Anonymous Eye Patch said...

A handful of crimes are worth the risk of fleeing, have DUI's become one of those?

2/26/2011 6:17 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a QM2(SS) on my first shore duty I served as an MP in Subic Bay (1986-89). We were anything but "gate guards" since we had Marines to do that. Our initial training started at Lakehurst NJ and I did a follow-on school at Lackland AFB.

In my three years there I saw everything from murder, rape and riots to arson, domestics and D&D's. DUI accidents with deadly results were the norm and unfortunately the drunk usually lives.

Fortunately I only had to fire my weapon once in anger (during a suspect pursuit in a swamp). We would go from a nice quiet night patrolling housing one minute to a full fledged riot out in town. We also did harbor patrol chasing dynamite fisherman out of the base waterspace.

I did notice during my tour there that submariners were by far the easiest going of all our "customers". As far as I can remember, only 1 submariner during my tour was ever picked up for anything and that was by me. I responded to a call out in Barrio for a drunk and disorderly at a known skimmer bar. When I arrived this guy was throwing beer bottles at the pool table and talking about his last mission. Being a QM and submariner, I knew right away where he last was since he was spouting of lat/longs, various capes, traffic patterns, "points of interest" etc.

So I escorted him outside and asked for his ID. He became combative so I took him down and handcuffed him. Turns out he was the ships engineer. My write-up was fairly gentle (I had to take him in because of the property damage and being handcuffed) but when the XO came to get him out I gave him the full story and told him he was not to leave the base again during their stay. XO was cool and thanked me. Two days later the ENG came to station at the start of my shift and apoligized to me which I thought was cool.

Anyway, it was the greatest 3 yers of my life and unfortunately, submariners at the time were not eligible to convert over to MAA.

As for the story in San Diego, nice hunting by base police.

Jim C.
Retired ANAV

2/26/2011 6:59 PM

Blogger Vigilis said...

Guessing the two drunken sailors were not scheduled to leave port the next day, else SecNav Mabus might have to reconsider his despicable insult.

2/26/2011 9:31 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cou;d these two be senior PO's? The last time I was at San Diego, only E-6 and above could bring their vehicles on base.

You must've been in when ships were made of wood.

2/27/2011 12:58 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

After a late 80's night in Pacific Beach, I auto-cruised onto Sub-base at Point Loma, driving a good 50 yards beyond the guard shack. I stopped, turned around and flashed my ID. The disgusted guards (still Navy guys then), waved me through and got on the radio. I rolled into the parking lot, stopping just in time to open the door and spray the lot with vomit. The next day it took a good hour to find my car.

After a little recollection and realizing that I had no memory of the drive from PB to the base, I realized how stupid and fortunate I had been. Last time I ever drove after having more than two drinks.

2/27/2011 1:07 PM

Blogger Codeburner said...

Back during the Olangapo days, I was assigned to tag along with the AFP guys. I was working with this huge GM1. The guy must have been 6'4" and 300 pounds and none of it was fat.

We spent the night herding drunks back to the gate. But the guys with the paddy wagon sent out a call for the giant to 'come help them'. So we headed back inside the gate to the area where they unloaded the drunks from the wagon.

One very drunk seaman was refusing to get out of the wagon. The GM1 goes up to back open door and says:
"This is your one chance to get out of there. Now come on out."

The drunk declined with a stream of sailor profanity. The GM1 bends down and pulls off his left boondocker. Holding it by the toe he climbs in and say close the door.

The door is closed and the paddy wagon starts to bounce around on its spring, load thumps and groans can be heard. After about a minute of this we hear the GM1 say:

"Open the door"

I reach up and pull the door open and the drunk seemed to have been proped up against the door since he fell out of the wagon like a tree falling after it had been cut down.

We look down at the drunk who is now quiet, his face was covered with black heel marks.....

2/27/2011 5:35 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

`85, I bought my first new car from a dealer in North Charleston. The new car wasn't prepped yet, the dealer wanted my old car for this lot, so they gave me a loaner. They gave me the paperwork showing that it was a loaner.

Off I went to NS Chasn the next morning. Fuckers wouldn't let me on the base. Even when I offered to park the car in the security lot and hike to my ship, they wouldn't let me on the base.

I used the payphone to call the ship and spoke to the XO. I told him the situation. He told me to stand by there.

Ten minutes later, the desk monkey got a call. I could tell from his expression (and from the muffled yelling coming from the handset) that whoever was on the other end of the line was much further up the chain of command and was not very happy.

Thirty seconds after the desk monkey hung up the phone, I was on my way to the ship In the loaner car.

2/27/2011 5:38 PM

Anonymous NHSparky said...

The night our topside watch committed suicide, half the base security was coming down to the waterfront. The other half were shagging ass off Subase Pearl.

2/27/2011 7:16 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading the post about the topside watch I was remembered the Topeka incident of 2000. We on the LA were parked right in front of the Topeka. I was standing the 2330-0330 SRW and my relief was topside having a prewatch smoke when he became a "witness" to the incident. By the time base police got done with him it was past duty section turnover (0730) and I was one tired mofo running on zero sleep. At least I got to go home early that day after (around 1600).

2/27/2011 9:41 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"and a small vehicle chase began..."

Is it just me, or is this funny? No telling how many clowns might be in that vehicle.


2/28/2011 6:27 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

@anon 9:41PM

I certainly hope you weren't too inconvenienced.

2/28/2011 11:07 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

@anon 9:41PM

I certainly hope you weren't too inconvenienced.

Actually he was inconvenienced by some non-hacker who sought a permanent solution for a temporary problem. The guy was stupid, selfish or lazy; Take your pick.

2/28/2011 12:13 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1977 the new sub base at near Silverdale WA, I think they call it Bangor? The base was still under construction we were coming our of the Bremerton ship yard and parked at Bangor. I and a shipmate went to town and got sloshed, upon our return we just pulled on base turned down another road to stop to water the floura. The base was like a state park. We no more than got our business in hand when two jeep loads of Marines pulled up weapons drawn demanding and explaination. They allowed us to finish and return to the boat.

2/28/2011 1:19 PM

Anonymous STS2 said...

I still had the trash can from our keg in the back of my truck left over from our ship's party at Bellows AFB. We had been partying downtown and I was D/D. One guy, an FT went to go pass out in the truck an hour or so before we decided to head home. When we got to the truck it took forever to find had rained a bit and he had crawled into the trash can. So we left him in it. The game for me driving home was rolling him around in the back, and bouncing the passed out A-ganger with me's head off the passenger window. So we get to the gate and this relatively hot girl is the gate guard. She see's the dude's legs sticking out the trash can, and I start explaining the nights events..and we start flirting a bit. That part is going well, then the A-ganger wakes up, and yells "What the fuck does that stupid cunt want?"...She's taken off guard and to compound matters, now is when the FT wakes up and tries to get out of the trash can. Needless to say, I did not end up getting in this girl's pants, and the A-ganger and FT got to walk to our barracks from the gate.

2/28/2011 1:30 PM

Anonymous ssnret said...

Christmas party 1979 Charleston AFB. A ganger gets stopped at the gate. (Only the Air Farce would stop you leaving the base) Young female Air Police said he was very cooperative right up to the point where she turned to walk away and he grabbed her butt. He thought she moved very fast and was very strong for such a small girl.

2/28/2011 8:02 PM

Anonymous 3383 said...

I was a gate guard at Millington before Orlando NPS in '85. We liked performing safety belt checks on cute females driving onbase in swimsuits to use the pool.

I rarely saluted blue stickers; I feel a salute should be rendered to uniformed superior officers. A few battle-ax wives would scowl at me, but only one probable zero on a motorcycle ever made any issue of it, and he didn't get a salute either. Yeah, I know, I'm a badass.

3/01/2011 12:07 AM

Blogger DDM said...

"Yeah, I know, I'm a badass."

Funny, I was thinking dumbass. :)

@nhsparky: Were you on 688 or 666? A topside watch on 666 committed suicide in 1996ish.

3/01/2011 4:44 AM

Anonymous NHSparky said...

ddm--I was on Buffalo, and that happened in 1990 (April, IIRC). He committed suicide around 1:30 AM Sunday morning, we were underway for TRE 0700 Monday. Needless to say, that inspection did NOT go well. And the comments of the CO and XO when they got to the boat (XO just after 2, CO didn't show up until 8 that Sunday morning) didn't exactly help matters.

3/01/2011 8:58 AM

Anonymous STS2 said...

I remember all the anti hazing and suicide stand downs after those suicides, guess those were effective huh Admiral Boorda....

3/01/2011 10:49 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like my last Master Chief always said, "Nothing good ever happens after midnight"

3/02/2011 1:02 PM

Anonymous analee said...

All article you've wrote is really great..

3/09/2011 3:03 AM

Anonymous muebles en teruel said...

I believe one and all must look at it.

11/14/2011 1:35 AM

Anonymous Obat Darah Tinggi said...

very nice post and i like this ^___^
you can review my blogs in Obat Penyempitan Pembuluh Dara Pengobatan Kanker Darah Pengobatan Batu Empedu

9/09/2013 10:05 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home