Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Friday, February 24, 2006

Sub Screening Board Results On The Web?

I was poking around the Naval Personnel Command site looking for more information on the cluster that was the FY07 Active O-5 Line Board (disbanded due to "possible breach of integrity" -- apparently some NPC guy gave the board info that SECNAV hadn't approved), and I decided to drop by the Submarine Detailers page. You might remember a while back when I blogged about how secretive the submarine community was when it came to XO (and CO) screening results. It looks like they've gotten a little more open, but now that they have, I'm not sure I like it. On the right side of the PERS-42 home page, it advertises, under "New Information", the "FY07 DH Board Results". And sure enough, when you click on the link, it gives you a Word document listing everyone who screened for Department Head this year, headed by the list of "2nd Look Screeners". I'm sorry, but this seems like too much information. Any of you active duty guys know the reason for the apparent change in policy? Chap?

Disclaimer: Yes, I know some other communities have always done this; it's just a big change to see the sub guys doing it. Does this mean we'll finally get some transparency in XO screening?

Update 0924 25 Feb: Chap responds, and adds a parenthetical aside at the end that completely made my week/month/year/decade:

"(By the way, Bubbles doesn’t know this, but I’m working right now with more than one JO who was positively influenced by him in his active duty previous life, including one who’s convinced he’s commissioned because of the recommendation letter Bubbles wrote for him. It’s all about influence, and looks like our Bubbles had it in spades as far as these LTs are concerned. Good on ‘im.)"

Just got a little something in my eye, that's all...

2 Comments:

Blogger girlfriday said...

"I was poking around the Naval Personnel Command site looking for more information on the cluster that was the FY07 Active O-5 Line Board..."

Now there's a sentence I don't hear often.

2/24/2006 10:13 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

Notice how I also reduced the compound word "clusterf**k" to a single word to avoid the use of bad language...

2/25/2006 1:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home