Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

More Pictures Of PCU Texas

One of the guys from SubSim.com was onboard PCU Texas for their recent media availability, and generated a really good report with lots of pictures. My favorite was this one of the SCP:

The traditionalist in me wonders what will happen if they ever lose all AC while underway -- and the submarine Engineer in me knows they've probably got a damned good backup system installed just for that possibility. (For all I know, the whole thing's powered off the battery bus -- no reason it can't be DC).

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

BH, I don't know about the ship's systems, but I know for a fact that some parts of the Combat Systems are backed up by... dare I even speak it - UPS.

That's so scary it's ingenious.

8/30/2006 5:16 PM

 
Blogger Nereus said...

It's nice to see that the seating in more "People friendly". I stood too many watches on a chair or stool that was invented by some evil sadist.

8/30/2006 6:58 PM

 
Blogger Nereus said...

And In addtion to the humane seating.. Where is the Chief of The Watch? Looks like the Dive and COW are also the Helms/Planes. What o' what is a nub and seaman to do on this boat other than endless hours in the galley and TDU?

8/30/2006 9:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is no Dive and Chief of the Watch. The watchstations depicted here are Pilot and Copilot, and are manned by senior Petty Officers/CPOs. The COW/DOOW functions have been incorporated into the Pilot/Copilot.

As for the what the junior crewmen are doing, you guessed it, as well as concentrating on their in-rate watch quals.

It's a brave new world for submarines.

8/31/2006 10:36 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always about the coners. I would love to see the RPCP and ELT shack.

8/31/2006 5:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon: There is no RPCP anymore, and the ELT's are probably still using crap that Rickover approved. Damn twidgets get all the cool toys.

9/01/2006 12:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good to see some things never change... the nukes are still crying. When will you guys finally figure out we're not out here for you, you're out here to make us a better battle platform.

"So, quitcherbitchin', and push my sphere and pull my towed array." CDR Mel Williams, CO, USS NEBRASKA, SSBN 739, CO's Call Patrol 7, Crews Mess, January 1996. (I was TAD to NEBRASKA for that patrol)

9/01/2006 8:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home