Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Military Affairs Live-Blog For Idaho Senate Candidate

Alan (who also writes the milblog MREeater) is hosting a live-blog for Larry LaRocco, Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate here in Idaho, over at Idablue.

I was able to jump in with a question about whether Larry would support an increased attack submarine buy rate (as is included in the current version of the 2008 Defense Authorization Act, over the Navy's objections); here's what Larry said in response:
I would be supportive of the stepped up schedule for the production of the Virginia Class subs. Senator Jack Reed and I entered Congress the same year. Jack is a couple of years younger than me but we're the same height and many people used to confuse us.... in the early days. We became friends because we were both US Army vets. I value his opinion on matters dealing with the armed services and I think he is on the right track here. Yes, I'm concerned about how we pay for larger weapons systems but we have put a great deal of emphasis on land based forces and we have neglected other areas. It looks like the House and Senate are on the right track here. (I do recognize that Rhode Island has a lot to gain from this acceleration but so does the nation and our defense.)
Sounds pretty promising. You can read the rest of the liveblog questions and answers here.

7 Comments:

Blogger Julie Fanselow said...

Bubblehead, thanks for your participation and for bringing this to your readers' attention.

5/29/2007 10:27 PM

 
Blogger midwatchcowboy said...

The compelling reasons for accelerating the build rate are that if we had executed what was planned in 2000 for the Virginia, we wouldn't be looking at a decline to 40 SSNs. Also, Virginia program office is reducing costs - something that Ms. Etter would like LCS to learn from.

5/30/2007 6:03 AM

 
Blogger submandave said...

"I do recognize that Rhode Island has a lot to gain from this acceleration" (emphasis added)

When did EB move? OK, he's from Idaho so I'll cut him some slack.

5/30/2007 12:40 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

Quonset Point is in Rhode Island, where they make the hull sections and attach a lot of the equipment to said sections.

5/31/2007 7:54 AM

 
Blogger submandave said...

OK, I'll give you that. But you wouldn't begrudge me a chance to ping on a pol, would you?

5/31/2007 11:26 AM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

Of course not... I always assume they're idiots unless they prove otherwise.

5/31/2007 8:12 PM

 
Blogger Carolyn said...

midwatchcowboy, you have a good idea there. Maybe there was a misunderstanding in the military troops.

6/07/2007 2:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home