Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Friday, May 25, 2007

USS Nevada Officer Does Good

Check out this Navy NewsStand story about a LT(j.g.) from USS Nevada (SSBN 733) who recently saved a woman's life while on liberty. Excerpt:
Lt.j.g. Travon Santerre carried Jennifer Stiffler to his car and drove her to the hospital while she was having seizures, April 15. The doctors said his actions directly contributed to saving her life.
“I was out in town when a couple approached me and said a friend of theirs had hit her head and was in trouble,” said Santerre. “While I helped Jennifer, the other girl was getting sick and the guy was frozen with shock from what was happening.”
When Santerre approached Stiffler and began helping her she said to him, “I don’t want to die.” He said that’s when his Navy training kicked in.
“My training directly contributed to how I handled the situation,” said Santerre. “I was able to take control and remain calm. In the submariner community, we are trained to handle high stress situations on an everyday basis, so I never once got overwhelmed or felt there was nothing I could do. Though I’m no doctor, I kept her airways clear and got her to the center as quickly as I could.”
The article goes on to say how LT (j.g.) Santerre sustained a back injury during the rescue that's kept him LIMDU ever since, and says how his shipmates have been supporting him. I've never done an "off-crew", but I'm guessing laid up in bed isn't the best way to spend it. So, for doing the right thing at the cost of some quality liberty, I salute you, LT (j.g.) Santerre!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, a good man he is. Thank you for sharing a great story!

5/25/2007 7:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gads, that's my husbands boat!!! (Different crew though). WTG Nevada Blue! There's a lot of good guys on that boat, thanks for sharing the story!!! :)

5/25/2007 10:53 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHA, I know him. I like the unofficial version of the story better.

6/29/2007 12:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home