Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Kooky Local Simpleton On Cause Of Boise Wildfire

As I left work about 7:15 p.m. on Monday evening, I was amazed at the duststorm that had come up; I couldn't even see the Boise foothills from about 3 miles away because of all the dust. As I headed west, I noticed that the dust had been joined by a bunch of white smoke coming from what looked like one spot, but I didn't see any flames. By the time I got home 20 minutes later, they were already breaking into the TV shows with reports of a major fire that had spread to a subdivision.

Aerial pictures of the damage can be seen here, including this picture:

It appears that the fire started from a power pole on the undeveloped land and quickly spread up the hill. And on what does Boise refugee from common sense Bryan Fischer blame this fire? Open space. Here's part of what he says:
Were the BLM property not off-limits to development, it is likely that homes would have been built some time ago in the area where the fire began. Preserving open space is trendy, but it drives up the price of housing and, as last night illustrated, can be dangerous.
That's right -- having any piece of undeveloped property is dangerous. Since no matter what you do, there will always be undeveloped space next to a house somewhere unless everything is developed, Bryan Fischer seems to be calling for the end to wilderness everywhere. I don't think that will go over very well here in Idaho.

The wildfire ended up destroying 10 houses, damaging 9 others, and killed a BSU professor. If you'd like to help those displaced by the fire, here's some information on how you can help.

Update 0909 28 Aug: Here's a more likely explanation for the rapid spread of the fire from house to house -- those darned cedar shake roofs that various Home Owner's Associations require, allegedly for "aesthetic" reasons. (Long-time readers know that I'm not a big fan of tasteful neighborhood beautification.) While the HOA in my neighborhood is non-functional, we still have a covenant in our deed that requires cedar shake roofs on our houses. I'm not happy about it, but since our house already has one, I'm not planning changing ours out yet just to make a point. (Plus, although we used to have a lot of "open space" around us, it's pretty much disappeared in the 4 years since we moved in.)

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think his point was actually that, if it's like in Kalifornia, land management is/was strictly verbotten. Therefore, no firebreaks, fire roads, etc. Open space is a wonderful thing, as are forests, parks, etc. However, some common sense must be applied. The land must be managed, else the forest fires that were frequent centuries ago will absolutely gobble up the "open space."

8/27/2008 10:20 AM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

Have to disagree. Based on his previous writings, he just wants all government lands given to big corporations who might contribute to his one-man "Idaho Values Alliance". As long as they're white Christians (as he defines the terms), that is.

8/27/2008 11:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone who says there are no firebreaks or fire roads in California simply doesn't know what they are talking about. take a visit and get educated, "anonymous". California has plenty of problems without outsiders contributing to the distorted perceptions with misinformation. I agree with your point on land management, but the prime offenders in that issue by their policies are BLM and USFS, BOTH FEDERAL, not state. Just ask CalFire.

8/27/2008 11:35 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do people from Idaho hate California and Californians so much?

8/27/2008 12:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess the Idaho-ians hate the fact that we produce nuts and fruitcakes of higher quality here in California.

8/27/2008 1:36 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

Personally, I love California. There are a lot of anti-Californians here, though. They used to complain about Californians driving housing prices up; now that they aren't coming as much, and home values have been plunging, I haven't been hearing that particular complaint as much.

8/27/2008 2:33 PM

 
Blogger saraeanderson said...

Housing developments are completely fireproof, so I see where he's coming from.

8/27/2008 5:55 PM

 
Blogger G-Man said...

Oh Geez! Where did this policitian come from?

8/27/2008 6:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The nationwide liberal agenda includes defining population densities at which unincorporated areas may be annexed involuntarily (by current/ future laws) into existing municipalities.

Once inside the city, of course,
not only do more oppressive laws apply, but homeowners get to pay higher taxes to finance the waste and corruption generated by city politics, fund mass transit, and reconsider even owning a car. If male, welcome to the metrosexual culture of the future.

Be very watchful if it is not already too late.

8/27/2008 7:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I have lived in Idaho most of my life. I would like to say one thing. I LOVE CALIFORNIA. San Diego is by far the best city in California and the country for that matter but that is only my personal opinion. So I guess the fact that only being married to "tiny bubbles" for 23 years, living 19 of those years away from Idaho, would not quilfy me as making the small statement as this: I as a person from Idaho do NOT hate California or anyone from California. Since I have family still living in the fine city of San Diego and Santa Cruz I would like to say that the anonymous poster does not speak for all of us from the state of Idaho. Since one of those family members that live in San Diego actually was born in Idaho and grew up in Pocatello(a small city in southeast Idaho) that family member has now made their home in California so I guess my point is this NOT all people from Idaho HATE California or those who are from California. But then this person who believes that all those from Idaho HATE California and those from California can not even leave a name or make one up so they have NO thought process.

8/28/2008 5:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Subbasket,

I apologize if I upset you or anyone else in posing my earlier question. Perhaps I should have used the word dislike rather than hate.

If you re-read my earlier comment, you'll see that I did not say that "all" people from Idaho hate California and Californians. I simply asked why do "people" from Idaho hate California and Californians.

I lived in San Diego, Bonita, Lemon Grove, and Temecula for fifteen years. I totally agree that San Diego and San Diego county represent the very best that "Southern" California has to offer. Not sure about Northern California since I never lived there.

My question stems from a statement that a close and very informed friend, who grew up in Idaho and has lived most of his adult life in California, once made. He said, "Idahoians just don't like California, nor do they like Californians". That statement seemed odd to me since I had lived in several other states and had never encountered such sentiment. I remembered his statement and several years later when visiting Idaho, I had the opportunity to ask several locals about their California sentiments. Surprisingly, they shared the same feelings and opinions.

When I read the first comment from this post, it got me thinking again about my friend's statement and the subsequent opinions from several Idaho Falls local, and so I took the opportunity to ask the question using Bubblehead's venue. I do hope that it is not considered politically incorrect to use another's blog to pose a semi-related question.

Birdie

8/28/2008 10:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most likely they dislike them for the same reason my wife and her friends from Washington called the then (late 80s) recent immigrants from Kalifornia "Californicators" - because after successfully screwing up SoCal, they sought to relocate and recreate their "paradise." "This how we did it in Kali."

8/28/2008 1:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been a while since I had a cedar shake roof (when I lived in Oregon ... no cedar shakes out here in South Carolina) but I had thought there was a fire retardant spray that could be used on a roof to minimize the roof's chance of lighting up from wind-born cinders.

Oh, and I lived in both Ca and Id. Both have their +'s and -'s. Biggest minus for Ca now (still) is the cost of living. I just can't afford to live there near where a job could be had. Biggest minus for Id is not being near a coast (sorry, I love the beach and fresh seafood). I really enjoyed Id wilderness (though Ca has some excellent wilderness, too) and I enjoyed Ca weather (in spots) and coastlines.

Carl

8/28/2008 4:32 PM

 
Blogger Julie Fanselow said...

I'm seriously surprised that Fischer didn't blame the fire on the fact that District 18 elected three out of three Democratic legislators in 2006, and this was God's retribution.

What an ass.

8/29/2008 9:28 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it Julie, the wingnuts should blame the mini conflagration here on the heretical people who voted Democrat just as the wingnuts in California used the major conflagration there to rant against gays, And then the wildfires of Southern California engulfed the land like a raging judgment against the radicalized anti-christian California rebels.

8/29/2008 7:53 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it Julie, the wingnuts should blame the mini conflagration here on the heretical people who voted Democrat just as the wingnuts in California used the major conflagration there to rant against gays.

“And then the wildfires of Southern California engulfed the land like a raging judgment against the radicalized anti-christian California rebels.”

http://www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/66029/

8/29/2008 7:56 PM

 
Blogger interstices said...

Back to the original post. It was not BLM land in the first place; it is owned by Idaho Power and they keep it open because of the major powerline corridor.

9/01/2008 11:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home