Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

It Was Twenty Years Ago Today...

So there I was... a young enlisted Sailor in Orlando at Nuclear Power School. Following the six months there, our class was dispersing to either New York, Connecticut, or Idaho for the next six months of training at an operating land-based naval reactor. I had picked Idaho, since that would give me a chance to visit my parents in Nebraska on the way across country. Before we left Orlando, our class advisor told those of us going to Idaho to "watch out for them Mormon girls up there... they'll try to convert you and marry you." My friends and I vowed to be careful.
So I'm at the end of my sixth week of classes at the Naval Reactors Facility in Idaho, on February 15th, 1985. I was pretty tired, but my buddies convinced me to go out dancing with some friends of a girl one of them had met. One of the friends caught my eye right away; I tried to be funny, but I think I came across as just plain obnoxious. For some reason, though, she decided to agree to go out with me the next night. We were married 7 months later, and she's stayed with me for 20 years, through 15 moves, three wonderful kids (including Pantherfan), and four six-month separations due to work. Thank you, my eternal bride. I don't know where I'd be if it wasn't for you, but I know I would't be as happy as I am now.

9 Comments:

Blogger bothenook said...

isn't it great when you find the right one? one that put up with the bs, the seperations, the long hours, the stress and strain of the job? good on ya, and good on your wife. it's great to hear about marraiges that work, even with all the navy can throw at them. all too many don't.

2/15/2005 3:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, nearly 31 years ago, my wife and I met while I was attached to the Woodrow Wilson SSBN624 at the Newport News Shipyard (1974). Married within 6 weeks, stayed on east coast to return to school, a move to the west coast, 2 kids, several homes - life is good.

2/15/2005 5:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay with tears in my eyes I can finally say he might not have to buy me another Longaberger basket. What he isn't telling you is that usually all the moves have been with out him, 3rd wonderful child was delivered without him being there(all children were c-sections), and 13th move was the worst of them all. Though I would still marry him again if I had to do it all over. He is just getting close to being perfect. I figure in twenty more years he will be perfect. Though there is that basket that I still want......

2/15/2005 6:22 AM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

The woman in a Sailors life goes through probably more ups and downs than the average woman, but the best of them make us so much better. I've seen the wives who couldn't take the stress, but my bride certainly proved she could handle all that the Navy could throw at her, and then some. Yes, for all that I've put Subbasket through, she deserves all the Longaberger baskets in the world. Thanks for sticking with me, my love... the best is yet to come!

2/15/2005 1:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some buddy quick pinch me. Did he really say I could have all the Longaberger baskets I wanted. I think I have passed out gone to Heaven. Wait no I am living in my own private Idaho.

2/15/2005 4:10 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

I'll pinch you... I'll be right home...

2/15/2005 4:11 PM

 
Blogger WillyShake said...

What a wonderful story. Many happy years and many many blessings to come for you both!

2/15/2005 4:21 PM

 
Blogger Zoe Brain said...

Carmel's put up with me for 24 years (as of Monday).

This has included 2 1/2 years of me living in Sydney, and only seeing her on Weekends, and numerous overseas deployments for 3-10 months.

Andrew, our son, is now 3 1/2 - so it just shows that some things just get better after 20 years.

2/16/2005 6:26 AM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

Now I really feel old...

2/18/2005 3:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home