Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Beautiful New London

I remember seeing something about this earlier this week (Ninme commented about it somewhere, but right now I'm too lazy to go find it), but when I saw that The Sub Report had linked to an article about New London, CT, being the "most favorable city in the country based on an analysis of living costs and average pay" in the country. For those of us who've been there, obviously it seemed like something was out of place; I mean, New London might not be an armpit along the lines of say, Pawtucket or Olongapo, but it's still pretty crappy. Then I saw this disclaimer in the article:

"The analysis did not consider quality-of-life issues such as school systems, weather, infrastructure and culture."

That explains it...

3 Comments:

Blogger bothenook said...

"or weather". i went to electric boat for the shipyard's nuclear engineer classes. we were there from feb to june, and slogging through 2 1/2 feet of fresh snow in april was almost more than this west coast boy could take.

5/29/2005 1:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that Connecticut is a beautiful place, with the exception of Groton. My family calls Groton the armpit of North America. If it weren't for the running trail on the subase, I'd need to be locked up and medicated.

XO's wife

5/29/2005 2:51 PM

 
Blogger Lubber's Line said...

Pawtucket! do you mean Pawtucket RI? Home of the Modern Diner, first diner in the nation to be accepted on the National Register for Historic Places.

OK, I agree Groton/New London isn't Pawtucket but close. I hated the Tidewarter area of VA and Charleston SC when I was first station there, but grew to like both. Groton was 45 minutes from home so when I had some liberty I was sailing or fishing on Narragansett Bay.

I'm thinking they must have only interviewed chemists at Pfizer who are making 6 figures or Massapequot tribal members.

5/29/2005 8:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home