Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Monday, October 10, 2005

Movie Review: "Serenity"

Since it seems like I'm the last blogger who hasn't reviewed Serenity, there probably isn't much I can add, so I'll just give you the quick and dirty. Like Orson Scott Card, I thought that Serenity was the best sci fi movie I've ever seen. The acting was good, I cared about the characters and understood their motivations, and I didn't have to "suspend disbelief"as much as I normally do while watching science fiction.

This is a movie for adults. Unless your kids are huge sci fi fans, they probably won't like it too much. You really need to pay attention to understand what's going on, but if you do, you're in for a treat. You might be wondering why the ship's Captain talks and acts like a Western gunslinger... trust me, don't over-analyze, just sit back and enjoy it, because it works.

In most good movies, the plot drives towards one line that "has to be said" -- the emotional payoff for the movie. I always enjoy watching how various directors handle this -- lots of them mess it up. In Serenity, when that time came, I knew exactly what was going to happen, but I still let out an involuntary gasp of joy when it played out (much to SubBasket's amusement).

Basically, Serenity is what movie should be -- a piece of art that totally immerses the target audience in the world it creates. If you like sci fi at all, go see the movie (but hurry; based on the disappointing box office, it might not be around for long).

Going deep...

2 Comments:

Anonymous www.vbarcelone.com said...

This can't truly have success, I feel this way.

10/05/2011 1:03 AM

 
Anonymous Ruby said...

Thanks for this article, pretty helpful piece of writing.

9/05/2012 10:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home