Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Monday, October 24, 2005

Non-Sub Related

If the White House is looking for a convenient excuse for withdrawing the Miers nomination, this story will probably provide them the political cover they need:

"Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers collected more than 10 times the market value for a small slice of family-owned land in a large Superfund pollution cleanup site in Dallas where the state wanted to build a highway off-ramp.
"The windfall came after a judge who received thousands of dollars in campaign contributions from Miers' law firm appointed a close professional associate of Miers and an outspoken property-rights activist to the three-person panel that determined how much the state should pay.
"The resulting six-figure payout to the Miers family in 2000 was despite the state’s objections to the "excessive” amount and to the process used to set the price. The panel recommended paying nearly $5 a square foot for land that was valued at less than 30 cents a square foot."


I personally don't have a problem with anything I've seen about Miers -- then again, as a South Park Republican, I'm not that militant about abortion. My own personal view about abortion (that I generally support it being available with reasonable restrictions and no government funding, but that there is no inherent Constitutional right to abortion) is screwy enough that it ensures I'll never be elected to public office, even if I lost my mind and decided to run...

Going deep...

Update 1529 24 Oct: Via Best of the Web, here's an article that talks about a possible withdrawal of the Miers nomination. I was upset in reading today's edition of "Best of..." because they used the "pining for the fjords" joke that I was going to use for the story of the dead British parrot...

4 Comments:

Blogger Bubblehead said...

No! Never! This blog is one of the ways I keep myself from ever running -- if I do lose my mind and try to, I'll know my opponents can just pull stuff our of here to discredit me.

10/24/2005 12:37 PM

 
Blogger Vigilis said...

Your read of politics is as correct as unfortunate. Condemnation of private property for eminent domain is becoming a hot-button issue. Would we not be better off to have someone like Miers (who prevailed against the government's low-ball, confiscatory offer) as an associate justice of SUPCO? My opinion is we would indeed be better off with this unusually independent lawyer.

10/24/2005 12:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait running for office. I always did want to be the Mayors wife or better yet the Presidents Mother. I most diffently would like "tiny Bubbles" to be Mayor or Governor of the great state of Idaho then I could meet the Governator. Plus all those so called celebrities in Sun Valley. I could have a life. Dreams do really come true.

10/24/2005 1:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe my husband shares your exact view re abortion. Screwy? Nope.

---former XO's wife

10/25/2005 12:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home