Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The Effects Of Sea Pressure

Via Ninme, an old video purported to be taken at several thousand feet depth showing the effect of extreme differential pressure on the local fauna. Since pressure increases at 44psi/100 feet of depth in sea water, the video alleges to show the effect of a 2500+ psi pressure difference difference. (The engineer in me recognizes that the pipe probably wasn't completely depressurized, but the guy in me says, "Kewl!")

Update 0649 02 Nov: The engineer in me noticed that the caption accompanying the video says "...(t)he pressure inside the pipeline is 0 psig"; of course, if you were really measuring it in pounds per square inch gauge you'd need a reference; in the system described by the video, the obvious other pressure source is the ocean, and there's clearly greater than zero differential pressure between the pipe and the ocean. Therefore, the description of the pressure inside the pipe is misleading in the strictest sense of the word. Of course, they probably meant that the inside of the pipe was at normal atmospheric pressure...

Update 0655 02 Nov: Reading the update I just published above, I realized that I'm an insufferable engineering geek. Of course.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bubblehead said...

You know, I thought about that when I was posting, and couldn't come up with a good explanation...

11/02/2005 2:09 PM

 
Blogger lawhawk said...

I know the answer to that. It was on a bet between a couple of engineers who wanted to see what would happen to ol' king crab who walked by. They've just invented the latest, greatest, Crabomatic 5000.

It slices, dices, minces, rinses, and even crushes cans. It can be yours for the incredibly low price of $49.95.

11/03/2005 9:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home