Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

I Like Letters To The Editor

The local paper, The Idaho Statesman, seems to get better that its fair share of wacky LTTEs. One of the letters in today's paper especially caught my eye (sixth letter down) for its' complete lack of coherence. In addition to advocating a "federal program to deposit a reasonable sum in bank accounts of grossly overweight persons, with withdrawal when goal is achieved" (no other explanation given), the writer calls for some unspecified entity to "(c)lamp down severely on repulsive, sexually slanted TV programs, unfit language and clothing of women". I have a feeling that they meant for "repulsive" and "sexually slanted" to apply to all three of the items listed, but I think most submariners would be more likely to agree with the third item the way it's written...

Update 2322 15 Feb: I just noticed that I used all three forms of "its" in the post above, and have no idea which ones are used correctly. Actually, I'm pretty sure the last one is correct, but the first two are a shot in the dark...

1 Comments:

Blogger girlfriday said...

Use "it's" when you are contracting "it" and "is" (it's not nice to correct people). In all other instances use "its" (its fair share).

Grammar lesson over.

Your girlfriday, signing off...

2/15/2006 11:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home