Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

In-Depth Analysis Of Submarine News

I started this blog with the intention of providing in-depth analysis of any submarine news that happened to make its way into the public domain. And that's still my goal -- if I could figure out a way to start posting about serious topics before 0050 on nights where I have to work in the morning (this "retirement" thing isn't quite as restful as I'd planned). So, if I didn't have to go to bed, I might be providing an analysis of some articles (here and here) that discuss why the ASDS program was cancelled, or maybe even a discussion of an article in The New London Day (registration req'd) about future submarine force levels. (They're supposed to drop to about 40 in the 2018-2019 time frame, and then start climbing again to above 50 by 2026, assuming Congress agrees to start buying 2 subs a year very soon, which will happen right after monkeys start flying out of my butt.) This unreadable graph from The Day tells the whole story:

Anyway, I can provide analysis of this report from the Kitsap Sun's Military Life blog about how the Seawolf and Connecticut are supposedly going to be based in Bremerton instead of Bangor when they move to the West Coast next year. My analysis: as soon as they figure out what a pain it is getting the Sailors to the Training Facility at the Sub Base, they'll look for a way to move the boats over to Bangor.

Update 0715 25 April: If I had time, I would also rip apart this article by a guy, who claims to have been a Deputy Undersecretary of Defense, that sings the praises of the militarily-useless Shkval supercavitating torpedos. I found about 5 errors just on a quick once-through, and I'm sure there are more. I'll try to get back to it tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home