Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

PCU New Mexico Unit Crest Revealed

Last spring, I mentioned that the New Mexico Council of the Navy League was holding a contest for New Mexico residents to design the unit crest for PCU New Mexico (SSN 779). Well, the crew has voted, and the winning design has been announced. Here it is:


It is a very unique design; you'll definitely be able to pick it out of a crowd. The other finalists and semi-finalists can be found here; I admit to being partial to the more "traditional" designs (like the 2nd, 4th, and 5th ones down on the right under "Semi-finalists") but the one the crew picked is very nice. I'll even admit that it's far better than my suggestion -- although I hope that the crew is still considering my nomination for the ship's motto ("Slower Than A Seawolf"). I haven't had much luck in the past for getting my motto suggestions accepted, though; for example, my CO on Connecticut picked "Arsenal of the Nation" as our ship's motto, completely ignoring my suggestion: "We regret that our enemies have but one life to give for their country".
Update 0605 19 January: While some don't seem to like the New Mexico's new crest, I think we can all agree that it's better than USS Seawolf's "drowning dog":

Word on the street is that the first several crest designs the crew submitted to Big Navy were rejected for having the wolf look "too warlike" -- remember, this was in the late 90s.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truly unique!

1/18/2007 1:11 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Dominic Ruiz and Christine Hinds entries.

As for the motto stuff, I forgot the motto that lost out for JIMMY CARTER. I remember it was from one of his innauguration speeches. Something like deterrence through strength. Memory fails. I think it was a bit too beligerent for him to approve (out of context, you know).

1/18/2007 5:51 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found the JIMMY CARTER rejected motto in his inauguration speech, which is surprisingly good (given his current rhetorical gaffs).

"ever vigilant, never vulnerable"

1/18/2007 5:55 AM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

I actually liked "Semper Optima" ("Always the best") that we came up with.

1/18/2007 5:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Iligitimi non carborundum!

USS Tunny SSN-682

RM1/SS

1/18/2007 6:51 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Libertas inaestimabilis res est

~ theDdoubleSstandard

1/18/2007 7:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DdoubleSstandard esta un dumbass

1/18/2007 4:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BARF -
As a former New Mexican, there is nothing about the crest that invokes New Mexico. In fact it is virtually devoid of New Mexican influences.
Prefer the ones by Katie Klaene and Richard Evarts. They remind me of New Mexico.

1/19/2007 2:14 AM

 
Blogger CDR Salamander said...

I thought you would have liked Justin Poblano's entry the best.

1/21/2007 12:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

His entry would be fitting if it were the USS SW Albuquerque

1/21/2007 6:46 PM

 
Blogger Nereus said...

As a New Mexican displaced by a long career in the Navy, I have to agree with EW3, the crest really has nothing to do with what I would consider "New Mexico" I think that 1.Andres Romero 2.Richard Evarts
3.Joel Ramirez all had captured it better.

1/23/2007 1:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nereus - Have to ask, since you are long displaced from NM do you want to go back?
The place has radically changed in the last 20 years. The Hollywierd crowd has driven the price of real estate up in the Sante Fe / Taos area and lot of the orginal culture is gone. The state has gone liberal!
Where I consider home, Placitas, even has a restaurant now! How eastern!

1/26/2007 11:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home