Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Hey, I Know These People!

Over at The Sub Report, I clicked on a link to a story called "Mom writes book about submarines for kids" and started reading:
When Alex Zerphy was a toddler, his father, Matthew, would give him a big hug and kiss before he left for work and tell him to mind his mother. But unlike most dads, Alex's dad didn't come home every night. Matthew, a lieutenant in the Navy, had his office aboard the USS Connecticut, a nuclear submarine that would deploy for six months or longer.
"It was difficult to explain to a toddler where his father was and why he wasn't home every night," said Jeni Kocher Zerphy...

At about this point I realized that I'd just read "USS Connecticut" and remembered, "Hey, I was on that boat...", so I went back and actually read the people's names, and sure enough, Matt Zerphy was one of my JOs when I was Eng on Connecticut. They lived just up the street from us when we first lived in base housing and everything.

I guess the children's book "Submarine" just got added to my "gotta buy" list.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gryphonette said...

Ha! It just got 'one-click' ordered so it'll arrive tomorrow while Uncle Charles is still in town.

His nieces and nephews'll love it, I'm sure. Thanks for the heads-up!

2/08/2007 6:11 AM

 
Blogger Sagey said...

Thanks for the heads up! I just ordered it for a Valentine's gift for my sons. My youngest has been obsessed with submarines since Daddy left on deployment! If anyone is looking for a good video, The Big Submarine is fantastic. It is about a Boomer out of KBay and it is all done from a kid's perspective. The boys love it!

2/08/2007 6:18 AM

 
Blogger Miss Ladybug said...

I think I might see about adding that to my "wish list" of books for my future classroom library. Thanks for the "heads-up". I doubt I would have stumbled across this one at my local Barnes & Noble.

2/08/2007 7:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home