Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Saturday, March 31, 2007

My Trip To Bangor

SubBasket and I flew to the Seattle area this week to see an old friend of ours take command of USS Nebraska (SSBN 739) (Gold). It was a really nice ceremony, and it was good being around submariners again -- in real life, that is, and not just over the 'net. Since I'm originally from Nebraska, I picked up quite a bit of stuff from the ship's store at the reception; while there, I had the pleasure of meeting fellow sub-blogger Nereus, who's back up and posting now that he's done with his PCS move to Bangor.

After the reception, we got to tour USS Maine (SSBN 741) over at the Submarine Base. This was especially nice for me since the Maine's current CO did his JO tour with me on USS Topeka. I make fun of boomers quite a bit on this blog, but the fact is that, if you have the space, the Ohio-class boats are the best-designed submarines in the world as far as being able to get repairs done quickly. They're quite impressive machines, and my friends are lucky to have command of such fine ships and crews.

Since my peers have been moving up to command over the last year or so, I've had a chance to think about whether or not I'm happy that I didn't stay in for command. I decided that, for me, moving on to civilian life when I did was the right option. Still, I found myself filled with admiration for the men who stayed in and achieved their goal of command. While I knew this new crop of COs when they were much less experienced, I still feel the same sense of awe in being around them that I did talking to COs when I was much younger. These men truly are among the best the nation has produced, and we're lucky they're willing to spend months away from their families to do the important work of defending our country.

That being said, it still took a direct order from the Maine's CO to stop me from telling his crew about that time in Tasmania that we...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joel, glad to see you had a good trip shipmate. I understand how you feel, my first DCA is something above a squadron deputy now.
Tridents, yes, they are confusing when you tour them, but they are awesome war machines. EB should be given the lead design on all submarines as they build an incredible platform. I can't imagine what the four upgraded SSGN platforms will be doing, but it will be fun.
Mebbe they will convert the trident sailors to real sea time....NOT!

4/01/2007 2:51 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trident's are indeed the best, in all respects, and the Nebraska was the finest I ever served aboard, even if it was just one patrol. They're the only boat that passes all of the Navy's habability standards. I know, I did the survey during NEWCON on the PA.

I never cared to go in for fastboat life, even though the missions were more "glamorous". The mission of the boomer is indeed dull and boring, but the most important jobs usually are.

And be careful there, BH, your boomer envy is showing...

4/01/2007 8:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On my first 637, the USS Drum (SSN 677), we did a Trim Pump job. We worked 78 hours straight in shifts to pull the pump, fix it, replace it, test it and bring it back on line. I went on to serve on the Michigan for a year and a little bit and taught at Trident Training Facility in Bangor for thee years. With the help of the TRIPER Program, we could tag out, remove, install, clear tags and test the Trim Pump in about four hours time. TRF was so good at what they did and hopefully they still are.



That Damn Good Looking Aganger From Iowa

4/04/2007 10:31 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Nebraska Gold is my husbands old boat, old crew (two boats ago). If I hear another Nebraska story....well you know. On the husbands last boat, there were SEVERAL Chiefs that had been on the Nebraska together in their "younger days", that CO forbid the word Nebraska after awhile! Ha! "We'll on the Nebraska we used to...."
The husband has a old, stained, falling apart Nebraska hat that is his favorite that I can't seem to make dissapear! Although I think secretly he is a little bitter that the blue crew got all the "glory", the Big Red book, the Discovery channel "special"....why does always seem there is the crew that always goes to sea and one that can't seem to stay out 30 days! *cough* the blue crew *cough*

4/05/2007 8:46 AM

 
Anonymous researchpapermonster.com said...

Blogs are so interactive where we get lots of informative on any topics...... nice job keep it up !!

3/23/2012 2:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home