Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Saturday, June 16, 2007

The Small Town Summer Parade: An American Tradition

Last night, SubBasket and I went to the parade for the Meridian Dairy Days celebration. I've got some pictures in the extended entry -- it was a lot of fun. While Meridian, Idaho, isn't really a "small town" anymore (it had about 5,000 people in 1980, 35,000 in 2000, and over 60,000 today), the parade had a real neighborly feel to it. For a community that now exports commuters instead of milk, it's nice to see the town's heritage still being celebrated.

That being said -- on to the pictures!

As with all small town parades, this one began with an Honor Guard for the flags:

It was nice to see almost all of the people stand up as the Flag passed, with the men removing their hats. I don't remember seeing that as much in big towns.

Since this was a parade honoring the dairy industry, there were cows:

...and people dressed like cows:

...and cars and trucks dressed like cows:

As is required in all small town parades, there was a line of convertibles carrying pretty young women:

...and pretty slightly-older women wearing nice red hats:

The crowd cheered for everyone, even "The Walking Spine" put together by a local chiropractor:

They especially cheered for the military, both past:

...and present:

Of course, since all politics is local, we had politicians there. Here's my State Senator, Shirley Nancy McKague:

Although I'm sure she's a very nice woman, she also seems to be a somewhat rabid black helicopter conspiracy theorist, so I really hope someone runs against her next year. While there aren't any Democrats who actually hold office here in Meridian, some local Democrats did show up to a polite welcome:

Finally, as with all small town parades, there were lots of horses:

And because of the horses, bringing up the rear of the parade -- last but most certainly not least -- was this team of dedicated volunteers:

One of the of the most important measures of success of a small town parade is how much SWAG the average person is able to bring home; here's what we got:

Next year, we're bringing our cute little nephew, and I bet our candy haul will increase exponentially! All in all, it was a wonderful way to spend a summer Friday evening, and I hope that if your town has a parade, you'll head out and enjoy it.

Bell-ringer 1805 17 June: Edited to correct the first name of my State Senator.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chap said...

I wanna see your ten year plan, man.

Because "public office" might want to be somewhere on it...

6/17/2007 8:28 AM

 
Blogger Julie Fanselow said...

Great pix, Bubblehead! You captured the sights - and almost the smells! - of the parade.

And since you are often my copy editor and/or fact checker, I'll nicely note that your state senator's first name is Shirley, not Nancy!

6/17/2007 5:21 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

D'oh! Good catch, Julie.

And Chap, the big problem with me running for office (other that I'm a snarky smartass) are that I'm too moderate to get nominiated for anything as a Republican here in Meridian, and Dems just plain don't win here.

6/17/2007 6:03 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

Plus, I obviously don't do the Inglish speakin' much good. Please add an "s" to "problem", and insert a "than" as the second word of my parenthetical comment. Thank you.

6/17/2007 11:41 PM

 
Anonymous My Wacky Friends said...

It won't work in reality, that's exactly what I consider.

11/02/2011 1:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home