Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Thursday, June 14, 2007

USS Michigan Back On The Job

The third Ohio-class boat to complete conversion to an SSGN configuration, USS Michigan (SSGN 727), had her "return to service" ceremony on Tuesday. Here's a picture of the crew "re-manning" the ship:

A "Return To Service" is apparently something like a christening for a newcon boat -- the sub still has all of her sea trials and certs to do before she can start doing actual patrols or deployments:
The Michigan and its 154-member crew -- it will eventually have two crews operating on rotating schedules -- now begin certification and testing that can last more than a year before it will be available for deployment, said Lt. Kyle Raines, a Navy spokesman.
Still, it's probably nice for the crew to see the light at the end of the shipyard tunnel.

7 Comments:

Blogger Brainy435 said...

Very OT, but I thought you might be interrested in this.
http://www.break.com/index/navy-boats-collide-at-full-speed.html

6/14/2007 10:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My old boat. Kinda sad to see the conversion, but better that she is still in service.

Dolphin Dave
ex-FTB1(SS)
USS Michigan 82-88

6/14/2007 5:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a member of the Gold crew from '97 to '02. I recall having the GMT the week after the skipper was informed of the conversion plan. I would have loved to serve on the Michigan again as an SSGN.

Tuebor!

"Philly"
ex- MM1(SS)

6/14/2007 6:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

another sex change operation complete

6/14/2007 10:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'spose it's better 'n being neutered!

I shave every morning with my first two boats.
So at least she's still out there doing her thing.

Subby
(yeah, that's the nick I use everywhere on the Interweb. Kinda cheesy here though)
ex-ET2(SS)
USS Michigan B 83-84

7/06/2007 4:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My old boat & where qualified subs good to see still in service after all these year. X--QMSN(SS)Gold 87-89 Served with Zack, Mont-y***** ***MT3(SS) Wells, MSSA Milsap Buddies for life *****Transfered to the 1st SSGN USS Kamehameha SSGN 89-91 got out.

11/21/2007 9:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW, on a lark, I googled her, and found this site. I agree it's nice to see that she's still fighting the good fight. She was my first boat, and I had alot of fun on her.

EM1 (SS) Ret.
Robert Griffiths
Precomm unit & Blue crew
1980 - 1985

6/17/2009 2:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home