Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Friday, January 18, 2008

Movie Review: "Cloverfield"

I succumbed to the hype and went to see "Cloverfield" today. All in all, I'd say it's the 2nd best movie I've seen so far this month -- "Juno" was quite a bit better, and "Atonement" was infinitely worse. I didn't feel like I wasted my money or time seeing this one.

Basically, it's a combination of "Godzilla" and "Blair Witch Project" set in post-9/11 NYC. I didn't really like "Blair Witch" and I viscerally hated "Godzilla". Both films were similar in that I really didn't care if the main characters lived or not (for "Godzilla", I was actively rooting for the lizard to eat the annoying stars). It was kind of the same here -- the "heroes" were vacuous 20-somethings whom I would mock and belittle were I to interact with them in the real world, and as they made dumber and dumber decisions (all for a noble cause, though) I found myself caring less and less if they lived (although the beginning of the film gave a pretty good indication of their fate).

Even with the character likeability issue, I thought the film still worked. Monster(s) straight out of "Starship Troopers" were CGI marvels, and the jerky camera-work (intentional) made you use your imagination to fill in the blanks. The military came off as pretty competent -- sure, some of them yelled at the main characters, but it was understood that they deserved to be berated.

The movie ended fairly abruptly, although it was fairly clear to me why that had to be. A lot of people waited around until the credits were done, but all they apparently got was a garbled voice -- the mystery of which may be explained here. If you want any more spoilers, you can go to the Wiki. (If you go to the see it without reading spoilers first, just remember to pay close attention to the sky during the scene at the end where they're on the ferris wheel.)

My wife and teenage son didn't like the movie as much as I did. My wife gave it a "1" (though not "the finger" -- she said it had enough positive elements to avoid that stigma); my son gave it a "2" (all ratings out of "5") and had this to say via IM from our family room while I was typing this (capitalization and punctuation inserted by parent):
"I liked their monster concept, but the first-person complete rip-off of Blair Witch Project got boring.
I felt like I'd seen the concept executed well once but didn't need to see it again."
Not very good news for the movie's execs, seeing as how my son is smack in the middle of their target demographic. For me, I give it 3 Uncomfortably Vivid 9/11 Reminders out of five.

Update 0524 23 Jan 2008: ninme really liked the movie.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been wondering whether to see this or not. The hype makes me think of Snakes on a Plane....which is never a good thing. Your wife gave it 1 of 5 your teen 2 of 5...but what was your rating, dude?

1/19/2008 2:36 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If America's love of Hollywood's crap is any indication of our collective character, maybe, as a nation, we deserve to go bankrupt and become defeated.

Our banks are failing and/or being bought out by countries that are anything but friendly to our interests, yet our minds deem it OK to waste time on purely divorced from reality drivel.

Fine...as a former vice president has said: "let 'er rip." We've got it comin'.

1/19/2008 7:24 AM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

First anonymous -- See my last sentence. (3 out of 5)

2nd anonymous -- I bet you're loads of fun at parties, aren't you?

1/19/2008 7:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'll just watch it on my laptop on Projectfreetv.
Beats the 'Pros vs. Joes' one of the roommates is watching, I hope.

1/19/2008 3:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cloverfield stole my $10.00...besides the CGI, I can tied my video camera around my dog's head and have it run around for 1.5 hour, then turn off the camera...that's it, no ending, then a year later they are going to try to steal $10.00 from everyone again with a sequel. To summarize the movie, FBI played a video tape that is the movie...the main characters had a party in New York where they had an handheld camcorder in which the whole "movie" was produced, there was an earthquake like shake, the head of the statue of liberty lands on the street, people go crazy running around the city trying to evacuate with help from the military. The main characters are attacked by little spider-like creatures that came from the big creature which attacked the city. After an hour of shaky camera work, all the main characters dies beside the last two who hides under a bridge, their survival lasts about 30 seconds, what seems to be a bomb goes off, the bridge collapses, camera falls, end of movie...There! I just saved you all $10

1/20/2008 9:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stupid movie... waste of time.

1/20/2008 9:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure, but I think a blogger called vigulus has defamed your movie reviews over at 'Ultra quiet no more'.

1/21/2008 6:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From 2nd anonymous:

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy."

1/21/2008 7:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From 2nd anonymous:

"Stock Markets Plunge Worldwide"

Allow for the possibility that I know precisely what I'm talking about.

1/21/2008 7:35 PM

 
Blogger metallicaisgod said...

Cloverfield is really stupid cuz it doesn't even show the monster "fully" at all, just parts of it. AND it was just about these guys, y'know, but you don't want to see the guys, you want to see that big monster thing destroying the city! SO THAT'S WHY IT WAS A WASTE OF MY TIME. THANK YOU.

7/18/2010 8:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to know where these guys are getting their camera batteries that last so long.

9/07/2010 8:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home