Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Monday, March 31, 2008

Now This Is Namesake Support

USS Georgia (SSGN 729) marked her return to service last week with a show of support from her namesake state that is nearly unprecedented. I was most impressed with the initiative that took a Georgia state flag through all 159 counties for subsequent presentation to the ship.

I think a good relationship between a submarine and her namesake can be a great thing for the morale of a crew. The Georgia's CO was my first XO on PCU Connecticut (SSN 22) when she was being built at EB, and I know he learned a lot there about how to make the namesake state excited about having their own submarine.

One advantage of being stationed in the state for which you're named -- the public will buy lots of ballcaps and t-shirts from you, which results in a windfall for your Rec Fund. On Connecticut, we gave away trips and nice TVs as door prizes at the ship's parties; Georgia should be able to do the same if they handle their Ship's Store correctly. I recommend they forget about training during off-crew and just send the guys out to sell shirts at the mall.

Update 2339 02 April 2008: Here's some video of the Return To Service ceremony.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pre-empt Training? Never! That's why T-hulls exist!

4/01/2008 11:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see Brian continue to go to sea, which he always loved to do when he was my Eng on Jeff City. He never failed to give Boomers shit so I guess he finally won by getting on a Boomer turned slow attack. Tell him that I was Nav on Georgia in the good ol cold war days and we managed to get the old Georgia football team jerseys for our flag football team -- he should be able to do the same if not better! -- Marty Smith

4/01/2008 11:40 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Captain (I still can't call you Marty...) Good to hear from you. Your old ship is doing well, and you're right, I still love going to sea. When the Navy tells me I can't do that anymore it's time for me to go home. Joel was my Eng on CT - small world. Hope all is well with you. Stay in touch!

4/10/2008 5:12 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home