Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Be Stupid, Get Punished

This story is in the paper today talking about what happened in the town just south of mine:
A 16-year-old boy was charged with a DUI early Wednesday after a train hit and demolished a pickup truck he got stuck on railroad tracks in Kuna...
...The pickup, which was thrown about 100 feet by the force of impact from the train, was destroyed.
The boy told investigators he was driving the pickup southbound on Swan Falls Road when he attempted to go around some railroad cars that were blocking the road on one set of tracks.
But the pickup got high-centered on that set of railroad tracks and another set of tracks next to it.
A short time later, the boy heard a train coming from the east on the other set of tracks, so he and his passenger, an 18-year-old man, jumped out of the pickup and ran away before the train hit the truck. No one was injured in the crash, according to reports.
There must be something about 16 year old boys and pickup trucks. Three weeks after I got my license, I was driving my parent's truck around the gravel roads in our rural part of the county when the three of us in the cab decided to drive over "Highwalker's Hill" -- a very steep hill on a dirt road that has a very sharp crest. I went over the top of the hill at a much higher speed than was safe, the front two wheels went airborne, and -- the truck being empty -- the loss of friction from the front wheels caused the truck to veer to the left; when the wheels landed, we were at about a 20 degree angle relative to the road, heading towards the ditch. I swerved back and forth all the way down the hill and halfway up the next before I lost it. The truck almost cleared the ditch, but didn't, and did a full roll back onto the road. The frame was twisted, and the wheels were frozen onto the hubs -- we ended up only being able to salvage the rear-view mirror. My parents weren't happy. Luckily for me, alcohol wasn't involved, and no one got seriously injured.

The bottom line: I have sympathy for this poor kid in Kuna, and hope he learns his lesson about drinking and driving, and I'm glad no one was hurt. I also really, really wish someone would have filmed this accident, 'cause the visuals I'm getting from just reading the story are hilarious.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking today how much I miss having Bubblehead hard at work on his blog. Okay really here is the issue at hand. The more he spends on the computer providing information to all you fine readers out in the blog world the more he is out of my way:-) I love him, yes I do love him LOTS, but I do need him to get busy so here is my thought is I need all of you find readers to help me to get him, being "TINY" Bubbles, to get back to work on this blog of his. So please help me to get his interest back on to the blog and out of my hair.

6/19/2008 4:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

someone needs a spa day. :-)

6/19/2008 7:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't worry i did the same thing with my 72 chevelle @ the intersection of 120th and highway 34. I managed to rip off a brand new set of turbo mufflers. I was doing about 110 and there is a nasty bump. My parents were also quite pissed.

6/19/2008 11:58 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kAt 16 we are bullet proof and of coarse we listen to our parents who have been there and done that. It's just that we can do it better. I waited until I was 14 to roll the family car on a muddy road just west of Bismark ND. Glad I was only going 25. My eldest son rolled the family car and totaled it,you guessed it 25 mph and in less than five hours after getting his driver license. #2 promised he would not roll the car. He kept his promise and put it in an irrigation ditch nose first. He talked his grandfather into pulling it out, towing it to his house,Where he cleaned and fixed the engine. I didn't find out about this incident for three years. # three was smart he never got caught. At my #one's memorial service, he passed away at 38year's old after a heart attack, I found out that when my wife and I were on an ambulance run the boys would take the family car and my patrol car and play cops and robbers.

The principal at #one's High school called me at home and asked me to bring # one into the office. Apparently someone (#1) drove his motorcycle up and down the aisle's in the auditorium during an assembly. The only thing he was wearing was a helmet with a tinted face mask. When I asked #one, all he did was smile. I called the Principal and told him in all fairness to #one I wouldn't be bringing #one in unless he could positively identify the culprit.

6/20/2008 8:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Subbasket, I'll try to help you out in your quest to keep the man busy. Sixteen year-old daughters are also a bit hard on cars, but at least so far my daughter hasn't had any dangerous accidents. However, the toll she's taking on parking too close to cement parking lot markers and ripping off front bumpers is starting to get on my nerves. She shall look super cute on the bus!

Bubblehead, more sea story blogging, please! Those of us married to guys who don't bring their work home really enjoy it.

6/20/2008 9:21 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"But the pickup got high-centered..."

Well, there's a clue if I've ever seen one. What sort of panty-waisted "truck" it THAT?!?

Ahh youth....

6/21/2008 2:04 PM

 
Blogger reddog said...

Kids get drunk and drive. It's Darwinism in action.

6/22/2008 5:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

qqulblBoys=One boy to worry about.

Girls=All the boys to worry about

6/22/2008 8:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My pick-up in high school didn't have a starter that worked - I would have to push it backwards with one foot out the drivers door until I could pop the clutch. A Chevy Luv, I did LOVE that truck!

6/22/2008 2:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"But the pickup got high-centered..."

Well there’s the problem right there --- The tires were too small. Get a 4” lift and bigger tires.

That Damn Good Looking Aganger From Iowa

6/23/2008 4:56 PM

 
Blogger Cameron said...

So you're the reason my insurance rates are so high...

6/26/2008 8:40 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home