Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

It's Not Right or Left, It's Thinking vs. Unthinking

My favorite liberal sub-blogger, Rob at Rob's Blog, has a couple of good posts up over the last 24 hours. The first is his rethinking of his original reaction to the story of the tragedy of the shooting of the Italian officer at the BIAP TCP that dominated the news this weekend. While Rob is unabashedly liberal, he demonstrates that when a logical person receives new information, they're able to incorporate that into their worldview, and sometimes admit that their original thoughts may have been mistaken. I applaud Rob for this, and hope he doesn't take too much crap from the other side of the blogosphere (although he puts his reasons down so clearly that I think it'd be hard for anyone to disagree with him).
Rob's second post is a good one for anyone who feels the political dialogue has been poisoned by paritisanship within the U.S. He recognizes that people on the other side of the political fence may not simply be brainwashed idiots, but may have good reasons for believing as they do. While I spend a lot of time crawling around the darker, moonbattier recesses of the liberal group mind on the blogosphere, I do in fact recognize that the large majority of Kerry voters are in fact people who love their country as much as I do, and simply believe that there are different ways of solving our problems. As you may guess from reading some of my posts, I'm just as uncomfortable with some of the idiocies coming from the right as I am with those of the left (although, to be honest, the left are normally more humorous.) [Note: this last link is, in fact, a satire site.]

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Satire? SATIRE?!!?!?!?!

You fascist!!!!!

3/09/2005 9:45 AM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

I think that I'm fairly lucky, in that I really don't know any wacky-liberal types personally. A lot of my wife's family are actually Democrats, but they're Idaho Democrats, which is like a California or Connecticut Republican. I have a feeling I wouldn't do too well with a true-believer type moonbat around; I'd be happy to debate with them, but I keep using things like "facts" and "a realistic world-view" that really unhinges them. That's why I like Rob -- he's liberal, but since he's a submariner, that means he's fairly logical, too.
[Personal for Liberal Larry - no one else read!: Yes, of course I recognize that your site is not satire, and actually expresses the true progressive truth. I just use this site as cover to try to infiltrate the neo-con blogger conspiracy to I can find the truth about who's directing their devious schemes: Rove or Bush.]

3/09/2005 12:46 PM

 
Blogger Robert Schumacher said...

I know this is late (I've been a bit off on my blogging, as a couple of really good books have had me welded to the printed page), but thank you for the compliments and your post's very accurate sentiment about the nature of blue-red disagreements.

I'm pretty hard on the GOP sometimes, but I suppose I should temper it by saying that it's the "moonbat" types on the right that bother me...not the more reasonable "South Park Republican" types that I saw mentioned and blogged about.

And disagree as I may with anyone, you'll never catch me badmouthing a fellow dolphin-wearer! We may disagree, but brotherhood is still brotherhood!

I don't know if you'll see this, the post being a week or so old (ancient in blogosphere standards), but I'm glad I don't register as a "moonbat" on the sonar scope :)

And ninme, I promise to bring Alka-Seltzer if I give you too much heartburn :)

3/15/2005 9:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home