Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Saturday, March 05, 2005

Another Submarine Force Hero

Head on over to WillyShake's place to check out the story of a submariner who was just awarded the Bronze Star for his work in Iraq. Another bubblehead does good! There are actually quite a few submariners on the ground in Iraq, working for various staffs and such. When I was TAD to USCENTCOM in Tampa in late 2003, I was really pushing to get sent forward; a buddy of mine from college was over there redoing the electrical work on one of Uday's palaces, and it sounded like fun. Alas, I was "too important" to be sent away. At the end of my six month stint, they said that if I extended, I could possibly be sent to Qatar, with the possibility of making it to Iraq eventually. At that point, though, I had heard enough stories from people in my office who had arrived in the Green Zone to a mortar barrage, and it probably would have interfered with my retirement date, so I decided that the younger guys could probably handle it. (Plus, I did have an actual job at my home command.) For those who do volunteer, though, you have my heartiest "thanks" -- job well done.

2 Comments:

Blogger Zoe Brain said...

Submariners have been doing this stuff on land for a long time.

3/06/2005 4:37 PM

 
Blogger Chap said...

I know one guy is serving as OIC of an Afghanistan Provincial Recon Team.

Why couldn't I have gotten that job?

3/13/2005 9:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home