Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Thursday, March 03, 2005

Funny Field Day Story

At my new job today, I learned different ways to clean my workstation, and that got me thinking about "Field Day Follies" on the boat. My favorite story requires some background information.
Los Angeles-class submarines, unlike Seawolfs, do not have a urinal in the Engine Room. When you're standing watch in back there, you're not allowed to go forward. As a result, you normally have off-watch guys come back and do "short reliefs" to allow their buddies to head up to take care of business during their six hours watches. During the midnight to 6 AM watch, though, it's harder to get people back to relieve you, so submariners, being an enterprising bunch, have figured ways around this problem.
In Main Seawater Bay on a 688, there's a fairly large drain funnel that is right beside the walkway, about 2 1/2 feet above the deck. It's an relatively isolated area, so one can expect a little privacy there. I'm not saying that all nukes on 688s use that funnel to answer nature's call; only those whose tours take them past the funnel do.
So, there I was, doing field day on the good ship Topeka. Our XO comes back to see how we're doing. At this point, I should add that this XO spent almost his entire JO and Dept. Head tours in the shipyard, and didn't have much at-sea experience. Anyway, he sees this funnel sticking out that's clearly dirtier than the rest of them, and decides to inspire us. "Can't you guys see how dirty this funnel is? Here, I'll show you how to clean!" With that, he started scrubbing away with great vigor, even using his fingernails to clean especially mungy parts, and I'll tell you, we were doubled over with inspiration...

Break -- new topic -- you should also check out Ninme's post on Italian submarine operations during WWII -- it's very good!

Going deep...

6 Comments:

Blogger Bubblehead said...

Yes, but you found the story, and brought it to the attention of the right audience... and isn't that what bloggers really do?

3/03/2005 8:16 PM

 
Blogger WillyShake said...

I can still visualize that funnel--and the adjacent MSW pumps frosted-up like snow-cones due to our northerly latitude *wink, wink*....

...I want to tell myself that I never actually *used* it, but I think I would be lying...I really can't remember! Funny that I still know *exactly* which one you're referring to--the one with all of the verdigris!

3/03/2005 11:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, those stupid O-gangers. On my first boat it was a tradition to wrap the new JOs in EB Green and hang them upside down from MS-5, the main steam crossover valve, for a while. I knew my turn was coming. They overwhelmed me in ERUL between the SSTGs and started to wrap me up. I yelled, "Oh no, not again!" And they let me go. I never did swing from the overhead. I'm sure they figured it out, but decided that I'd scored a point. That was the same patrol that I started the rumor about running out of toilet paper. That was fun.

3/04/2005 6:22 AM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

Abuse of JOs and other hazing has really gone down in the last few years, ever since Tailhook. I figure that's actually a good thing, since things like pinning guys in their rack with the bedpan prop would be bad if there were a fire while the guy was immobile.

3/05/2005 9:01 AM

 
Anonymous anxiety panic attacks said...

Hey - nice blog, simply trying around some blogs, appears a pretty nice platform you are using. I’m currently using WordPress for a few of my sites however seeking to change one in every of them over to a platform much like yours as a trial run. Anything in particular you'll advocate about it?

6/12/2011 10:33 PM

 
Anonymous acid reflux foods said...

Once I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new feedback are added” checkbox and now every time a remark is added I get 4 emails with the same comment. Is there any method you possibly can take away me from that service? Thanks

6/13/2011 9:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home