Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Movie Review: "The Brothers Grimm"

Went and saw "The Brothers Grimm" for my birthday this weekend. As most of the reviews have said, it was visually stunning, with really good set work; it looked just like I've always imagined Germany in the 1800s would look (on the few occasions I've thought about that.) Matt Damon and Heath Ledger did a pretty good job; I had no trouble believing they were brothers, and I understood their motivations. I also understood the motivation of the "final boss" baddie at the end. Everything else about the movie, though, confused me to no end.

Don't get me wrong; I normally like Terry Gilliam's work, and I'm a big Monty Python fan. The problem with the movie is that the story just didn't work; other than the main characters, I didn't understand why anyone else was doing what they were doing. It seemed like they'd get to a point in the script and say, "Well, I don't see any way for the heroes to get out of this; let's have one of the bad guys become a good guy for no apparent reason". I thought that maybe I'd get more out of it by sleeping on it overnight, but it didn't help. The script sucked. My teenage sons weren't even able to suspend disbelief enough to like it.

Don't waste your money on this picture; wait for it to come out on HBO or whatever. Bottom line: like Stealth before it, I give this movie "the finger".

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your birthday is NOT the time to be watching bad movies! THANKS for the warning - we were planning on looking for this movie this coming weekend! We really like Heath Ledger and Damon - oh well. Glad we didn't take the time to see Stealth - it was another one in the line-up! HAPPY 42nd?

8/29/2005 4:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy 43rd? Oh well - hope the rest of your birthday was better than the "flick"

8/29/2005 4:58 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

Thanks! 42nd, actually; I updated my profile. I actually didn't expect it to be a bad movie...

8/29/2005 5:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home