Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Thursday, August 04, 2005

The Submarine Song and CPO Initiation

I've gotten a couple of E-mails this week from newly selected prospective Chief Petty Officers asking for the words to "The Submarine Song" ("Submarines once, submarines twice, holy jumpin'..."). It seems I'm the number one Google entry for a number of Submarine Song-related searches, so they're writing to me to find the words of the song, in order to impress the crusty old CPOs who will be initiating them. Good move on their part.
They've been coming here in response to part of this post from January; in it, I blogged:

"Q3. Do you know the words to The Submarine Song? You know, the one that starts "Submarines once, submarines twice..."
A3. Yes, I do know the words, including both versions of the second verse. No, I will not put it on this blog. Some submarine secrets are so sacred that we can't run the risk of letting them out to the general public. Now, if you are a submariner who's forgotten the words, and would like me to send them to you, just drop me a note at the address [in my profile], along with your sub qual history and enough submarine-specific jargon to let me know you're the real thing. Indicate if you want me to include the second verse. (Warning: The second verse of the Submarine song is obscene, disgusting, and disturbing on so many levels.) Fair warning to Googlers: This is not the Submarine Song. Neither is this, although it's actually pretty good...
...and no, this little ditty, sung to the tune of "The Green Berets", isn't the Submarine Song either:
'Silver Dolphins on their chest,
These are men, America's best;
One hundred men, she'll have today,
But only three, the normal way.' "

Anyway, I'm moving this back up to the top to help this year's crop of new Chiefs learn a disturbing part of their heritage. And I'm proud to do so. If you'd like the words, E-mail me at the address in my profile (the address in the original link still works, but I mostly get offers to help import lots of money from Nigeria there). Just remember, though: It's only fun to sing the Submarine Song until somebody gets hurt... and then it's hilarious, if the hurt person is a skimmer.

Going deep...

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Things have gone to pot... since when does a First Class NOT know the words to the submarine song?
That was such a common question on my first boat's qual boards that every nub knew it after being onboard 3 months.

8/05/2005 1:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I don't know. Things have gotten so out of hand PC wise that I'm not surprised some of the boys might not know it.

The last time I heard it at the sub-ball in Pearl was in 1990. And even then, we only got about 1/2 way through it before we were yelled at.
Ken
DBF

8/07/2005 8:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last time I heard it was westpac 2000 onboard the USS Houston.

4/29/2006 2:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard it many times at the Horse and Cow in Bremerton.

8/04/2006 6:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must be a west coast thing, never heard it on the east coast. Got my fish in '93.

7/31/2007 10:17 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

yeah im a nub on a sub working on quals. one of my MT1's wants us to learn it so im tryin to find it but the only fuckin thing i find on it is the youtube vid can i get the lyrics from someone

2/23/2009 7:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

last time i herd the song was when my friend got his fish at the horse and cow in guam aug 09 westpack 09 USS LOS ANGELES FIRST AND THE FINEST.... A-GANG

10/18/2009 6:50 AM

 
Blogger DJ Freestyle said...

Submarine song is heard at the "Horse and Cow" at here in Guam on a constant basis. Along with an occasional peek at the "Dance of the Flaming Asshole". When we went to our qual boards that was one of the questions. If you are ever in Guam stop by refresh your memory and throw one back for all times sake! 594 qualified DJing back at the Cow in Guam!!!

4/02/2010 2:29 AM

 
Anonymous FT2/SS 89-95 said...

It's sad when tradition turns to trivia...

12/24/2011 11:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home