Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Look Out, Captain Nemo!

Here's an "interesting science news" story that's at least partly submarine related. In "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea", Jules Verne writes about the Nautilus being attacked by a giant squid. It now seems that a Japanese team has succeeded in filming a giant squid moving around underwater. Until now, the only specimens we've seen are those that wash up on the beach or are hauled up by fishing boats. So how'd they do it? Good old fashioned perseverance -- a much better idea than one of the original plans people had to get the footage:

"In 2003, New Zealand marine biologists laid a sex trap.
"They ground up some squid gonads, believing that the scent would drive male giant squids wild as the creatures migrated through New Zealand waters.
"The hope was that a camera would squirt out the pureed genitals and a passing squid, driven into a sexual frenzy, would then mate with the lens -- a project that, some may be relieved to hear, never came to fruition."

Suppose it's better to have it try to mate with the camera rather than a passing submarine. Anyway, here's a potentially interesting fact about giant squids that I remembered from when I was studying for a potential Jeopardy appearance. (I passed the test, but never got called in for the show -- that damn tournament they ran in order to get Ken Jennings some actual competition knocked out about two months of tapings.)

Back to the trivia. Ambergris, valued as a perfume fixative, is produced in the stomachs of sperm whales in order to protect the whale's stomach lining from the undigestible beaks of giant squid. And now you know...

Going deep...


Blogger ninme said...

There's this BBC gardening show they play here, where the gardeners surprise a person with a new garden. One episode is a wife surprising her husband, who's a cook on submarines, and sits in his bunk in his spare time designing gardens (ridiculously talented he is, too). So I have no problem imagining you spending your time sitting in your bunk studying for Jeopardy.

Giant squids don't mate with or otherwise fraternize with submarines, do they? (I have an image in my mind of the contents of a shelf in a sex shop for giant squids and it's hard to maintain a straight face.)

9/28/2005 12:27 PM

Blogger Quit Smoking said...

Hello fellow fisherman,

Did you know that 16% of the U.S. population goes fishing at least 16 days a year?

Did you also know that over 75% of the nations fishermen do not fish during "prime time"; fish feeding hours?

Those precious few moments before twilight can be absolutely magical. Even up until 11pm at night, the largest predators of any species feed ravenously.

Don't believe me? Check out Daniel Eggertsen's story, and a picture of a couple of his catches here : "Evening Secrets plus more"

I want you to do me a favor and try it out so I can see what you think of it, and if it works for you as well as it did for me.

You will be one of the first to try it out.

Gone Fishin',


10/09/2005 1:19 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was surfing through a few blogs and came across yours and wanted to say very nice job on the content, so I have bookmarked your site for future reference.

Just in case you are interested I have a child gardening
site. It pretty much covers child gardening related stuff.

Stop by sometime :=)

10/11/2005 9:13 PM

Blogger Silvianne said...

I just came across a great gardening website called*. Not only does it feature articles for the gardening enthusiast, but has become a great garden shrub
resource for me in my landscaping effort. The webmaster of this site has recently added a book section that seemed to expand everytime I go there.
What I like about it is that I get instant access to the book and don't have to wait for the book(s) to arrive which of course saves me shipping charges.... in some cases. Great idea. I love it. You must check it out today. Let me know what you think.

10/23/2005 3:30 PM

Anonymous contactos barcelona said...

In my opinion every person ought to browse on it.

10/08/2011 3:24 PM

Anonymous said...

I saw really much useful information above!

10/10/2011 1:00 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home