Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Twenty Wonderful Years

Today's is the twentieth anniversary of the day Subbasket made me the luckiest man on earth. Through 20 years, 13 moves, four six-month periods where the Navy kept me away from home, three kids (one of which she had when I was at sea), several hundred baskets, and one eternal love, she's filled my life with joy. I can't thank her enough for saving me.

We got married about 6 1/2 months after we first met; I was just finishing prototype training here in Idaho, and she was a student at Idaho State University. I was transferring at the end of June, and we decided to get married in September. Since I was going to be stationed in Lawrence, KS, and wouldn't be able to get more than the weekend off, we had to get married near my home, in Malcolm, Nebraska (just outside of Lincoln). As soon as we figured this out, I called my Mom and told her the joyous news. I asked when the first open weekend in September was, and she said that the first Saturday was open. (For those not from Nebraska, "open weekend" in the fall means a day when there's not a home football game.) I let Subbasket know, and she started ordering invitations and whatnot.

A couple weeks later, my Mom called with bad news -- they'd moved the date of the first football game (against Florida State) up a week, and now it would be on our wedding day! I figured this wasn't a problem; this left the next Saturday open. I called Subbasket to tell her, but for some reason she didn't want to move her wedding because of a football game. Since it turned out the wedding was going to be at 7pm, and the game started about 2pm, I figured it would work out OK (i.e. guests could still make it to the wedding after the game).

It ended up working out fine... most of the wedding party went to the game (I didn't, as Subbasket let me know that if I did there'd be no wedding) and left at halftime to get ready. (They didn't miss much; all the scoring was in the first half of a 17-13 FSU victory -- the last time Nebraska lost an opening game, btw). Unfortunately, Subbasket's family was staying at a hotel across town, and got caught in post-game traffic, so they didn't arrive at the church until 6:58, but she looked so beautiful, and I was so amazed that such a wonderful woman would even consider marrying me, that I didn't mind.

Thank you, my dearest love, for everything...

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second the motion. (Also I repeat the question as to what kind of cake was served? I remember it was very good, though.)

I am constantly amazed at your memory of game scores. I had recalled a higher score with the four point difference. (Like 35-31; shows what I know.)

9/07/2005 8:53 AM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

It was a white cake with white frosting... I actually remember almost everything about the ceremony. As far as the score, I had originally thought 14-10, but I went and looked it up before posting. I do remember a disturbing number of actual scores, though. (35-31 was the score of the Game of the Century, as well as the score MU beat us by in 1978 when a win would have put us in the national championship game against PSU.)

9/07/2005 9:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ninme: "tiny bubbles" isn't telling you that I wanted a carrot cake and he didn't so guess who won that battle and to think he wanted to change the wedding date(not to mention that the annoucements had already been printed by the time ugly little red changed the game:-).)

9/07/2005 12:11 PM

 
Blogger bothenook said...

20 years? good on ya! here's hoping for at least twice that many more.

9/07/2005 1:45 PM

 
Blogger geezernuke said...

I didn't make it thru my 22 year Navy career with just one wife so I have to add em up to get to 20. But if I live long enough I might make 20 under one flag this time.

Happy Anniversary and God Bless you with many more.

9/07/2005 3:47 PM

 
Blogger Gus Van Horn said...

Happy anniversary!

9/07/2005 4:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what nuke school class did you attend? 8408?

what prototype did you attend? A1W or S1C?

9/08/2005 2:10 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

8406; A1W. Later, as an officer, I was in 8904, and did prototype at S5G.

9/08/2005 8:26 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

It was white! It had layers! The top section had freezer burn when we tried to eat it on our first anniversary...

9/09/2005 5:18 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in 8501, went to proto at AIW, not a really good prototype for a sub sailor and not much help when reporting onboard a 594

Idaho falls and the surrounding area are some of the best places in the world for outdoor activities, made quite a few memorable trips to yellowstone and drank a lot of Ranier

9/09/2005 12:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ninme: I dare you to ask "tiny bubbles" where he took me on our honeymoon. I also have many other stories about this wedding(like the Pastor not turning one the ac till an hour before the wedding ceremony).

9/10/2005 3:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home