Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Saturday, October 01, 2005

For All You "Old School" Nukes

Ever wondered what the "new school" looks like? Here's a site that has pictures of the "new" Nuke Power School buildings in Charleston, along with photos of the NPTU there (where I spent two years as a Shift Eng).
For you really, really "old school" nukes, the site also has some pictures of the Nuke Power buildings in Bainbridge and Mare Island.
I actually couldn't find any pictures of the Nuke School buildings in Orlando. Do you think that's because "the shape is classified"? (Answer: No. It's because it's late, and my Googling skillz aren't up to their normal level.)
[Intel Source: Rontini]

Update 2351 03 Oct: Geezernuke posted some most excellent "old school" stories.

5 Comments:

Blogger geezernuke said...

Ah Bubble, you have such a knack to answer my unspoken questions and prod my abused brain into connecting a few synapes that haven't shook hands in decades.
In one of your previous posts you mentioned about your shore duty at NPTU Chastn and my thought response was, "didn't even know there was one". Last one I recollected was Bainbridge. I knew it must have moved but never asked where.
And then you link to photos of Cromwell Hall in Groton which I watched being built and was the first class to inhabit.

Thank you again, it stirs up some funny stories about those times. I will elaborate at Ok2b Nought some time this weekend. (Unless the synapse part and I'm left at the keyboard wondering why I'm there.)

10/01/2005 2:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It just needs a few pictures of NPTU Ballston Spa to be nice and complete. I happen to be staring at a few on my corkboard: one is of the sign at the entrance which says, among other things, something to the effect of "No photography allowed". The other is from the parking lot and about all you can see is the perimeter fence and the D1G ball and some cooling towers. Too many rent-a-cops patrolling around to get better pictures...

10/01/2005 7:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It just needs a few pictures of NPTU Ballston Spa to be nice and complete. I happen to be staring at a few on my corkboard: one is of the sign at the entrance which says, among other things, something to the effect of "No photography allowed". The other is from the parking lot and about all you can see is the perimeter fence and the D1G ball and some cooling towers. Too many rent-a-cops patrolling around to get better pictures...

10/01/2005 7:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ghod, the pictures of NPTU MINSY brought back memories. Class 7605 here, one of the last to go thru Vallejo.

I didn't know they didn't run baby Nucs up thru NRF in Idaho Falls any more. I did my prototype MM and ELT training on A1W (the Enterprise prototype) when it had 1 A1W core and part of a Nimitiz-class core that had been undergoing life testing...

I stopped at the National Historic site at EBR-1 in June and could see NRF off to the north.

Man, this is as bad as hearing USS Omaha was decommissioned (I am a plankowner)..

Rick T
MM1(SS)

10/02/2005 3:39 PM

 
Anonymous Lillian said...

Oh my god, there's a lot of worthwhile info here!

9/24/2012 4:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home