Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Saturday, October 01, 2005

When Editors Mess Up

As a manager/leader, I was always opposed to "change for the sake of change" when reviewing documents that came up for my approval. I figured that even if it wasn't necessarily exactly the way I would have written it, as long as it did the job it was OK -- I remembered how pissed off I'd get when someone would change my work for no apparent reason, and I didn't want to do that to my guys.
Also, I didn't want to take the risk of changing something that was right to something that is wrong (which brings us to the point of this post). Check out this article from the Portsmouth Herald on the move of USS Maine (SSBN-741) from Kings Bay, GA, to Bremerton, WA. Notice in particular the headline (at least until they change it): "USS Maine heads to D.C."
Here's what probably happened: The copy writer for the AP submits their story with the title "USS Maine heads to Washington", and then either for reasons of brevity or "change for the sake of change" the editor changes "Washington" to "D.C." -- rendering the headline completely inaccurate.
(Random thought: I'm not even sure a Trident could make it up the Potomac without running aground...)

Edited 2300 01 Oct to correct a stupid error...

4 Comments:

Blogger geezernuke said...

Use to have a plaque over my desk that stated,"There is a human drive that is stronger than all other drives, even sex or hunger. That drive is the desire to change someone elses copy."

I had to line through the word "change" and replace it with "revise".

10/01/2005 10:04 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

I think New Mexico has it pretty bad too, but there isn't any other state where someone has to say "Washington State". You're a state, darnit, not a football team!
Re: The Family Guy -- can anyone other than the dog understand Stewie?

10/02/2005 12:56 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ninme -

Back in '67 or '68 the state of Wisconsin issued a new official road map - which omitted a small town which had been on the previous edition. The town declared itself independent, set up "border crossings," and started insisting that visitors "from the US" show passports.

Don't remember how long the situation lasted....


RM1(SS) (ret)

10/02/2005 8:21 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ninme -

Google the phrase "the sovereign state of Winneconne" for the full story.


RM1(SS) (ret)

10/02/2005 6:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home