Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Checking Out The Competition

I love putting up Christmas lights. Specifically, I love putting up a really gaudy, mismatched display of lights that lowers property values for the entire section. "The more 8' inflatable lawn ornaments, the better" is my motto.

Due to wet weather and good football games, I haven't gotten around to finishing getting all my lights up yet. I took a drive around the neighborhood, though, to see who I'm up against in the "gaudiest light display" category. Within 100 yards of my house I found some tough competition (click on the pictures below for a better view). The first two are right across the street from each other:


I really can't beat them in the "number of inflatable lawn ornaments" category, but I thought I could win for overall garishness of the display. Then I ran across this house:

I gave up immediately. This picture is of only about half of the crap he's got in his lawn. This guy's my hero... I can't top that.

This year...

4 Comments:

Blogger Fred said...

You gave up that easily? Wow, what does that say about the tenacity of american sailors?

Just kidding. I don't even put up decorations in my room.

12/08/2005 9:40 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Used to think "bad" lighting arrangements were placed by husbands trying to get back at their wives for making them put out lights? ;-D

12/08/2005 1:23 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

Dude -- he's got wooden cutouts of Disney characters. Dozens of them! I can't compete with this level of gaudy without several months of preparation.

12/09/2005 12:28 AM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

This new neighborhood I live in is great for decorations. Probably at least half the houses have something up, and at least two on every block have really elaborate displays. But that's probably because Idaho is stealing all the hydroelectric power from Washington...

12/12/2005 12:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home