Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

CSP PAO Accuracy And EOT Awards

I was reading the article on the SubPac website on the USS Bremerton (SSN 698) change of command, and realizing that pretty soon, my peers are going to start showing up as the new COs. Anyway, as I was skimming the article, I was surprised to see that the outgoing CO was awarded a "Meritorious Achievement Medal". This apparently new medal was mentioned not only in the body of the story, but also in the blurb attached to the accompanying picture.

I was a little surprised that the outgoing CO of a submarine would be getting a Department of Transportation medal given to Coast Guard civilians, but figured that it must be a new Homeland Security initiative or something. However, as I examined the picture more closely, I saw that the award was actually of a more mundane Meritorious Service Medal. It was just a sloppy job of editing by the CSP Public Affairs Office.

Regarding "End Of Tour" awards: While official Navy guidance is that EOT awards are not "an integral part of the awards system", in actuality they are. (The PDF version of the previous link is here.) I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a Sub Force official-type document someplace wherein they discussed the guidance for EOT awards. For enlisted guys leaving their first boat, it said something like half should get NAMs, and the other half would rate Letters of Commendation. For JOs, it was something like 90% NAMs, 10% NCMs; DHs, I think, were all supposed to get NCMs, as were most XOs (some small percentage could get MSMs). For COs, the standard award was a Meritorious Service Medal, but something like 10% could get a Legion of Merit.

So, if you see a story about a CO getting a LOM for his non-integral End of Tour award, you know he done good.

Going deep...

Update 2328 15 Dec: They fixed the "Meritorious Achievement Medal" part...

8 Comments:

Blogger CDR Salamander said...

EOT awards are a sham. Things are so diluted in a few more years we will start looking like those Soviet/NORK guys with a tunic full of Flash.

The Brits do things much better, methinks.

12/15/2005 3:50 AM

 
Blogger Chap said...

The awards go up and down. Used to be XOs got pink medals, then they al got green ones, now some get pink and some got green. I was once told I had a pink one submitted and was downgraded to green because I was too junior--this year. Riiight.

It is kinda embarrassing to be meeting an Indian sub CO with three ribbons on his tunic...and me with the fruit salad full of "I was there" stuff.

People forget that the army with the least fancy uniforms always wins...

12/15/2005 9:16 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ron, I'm sure you've never made an editing error before.

12/15/2005 11:18 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Alan, I think his name is Joel...

12/15/2005 11:21 AM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

I have, but I'm not a professional journalist, like the JO2; plus, I really like busting the chops of PAO staffs (although the current CSP PAO is actually a pretty stand-up guy).

12/15/2005 2:37 PM

 
Blogger submandave said...

What's really fun is reviewing the service record of some DEVGRU LDO LT who has three LOMs. I actually saw a write up that covered an ambiguous period, was about two lines and basically said "He did good work that was very important in 1983." Would love to have known the background on that one.

12/16/2005 12:38 PM

 
Anonymous online shopping said...

To my mind everybody have to glance at this.

11/01/2011 11:16 AM

 
Anonymous www.natalia.biz said...

Thank you for your article, pretty worthwhile material.

11/23/2011 2:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home