Keeping the blogosphere posted on the goings on of the world of submarines since late 2004... and mocking and belittling general foolishness wherever it may be found. Idaho's first and foremost submarine blog. (If you don't like something on this blog, please E-mail me; don't call me at home.)

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

A Study In Contrasts

When a U.S. Strike Group returns from a six month deployment, you get some coverage on the local news, the Navy web page will have an article, and a year or so later Big Navy might get around to awarding some sort of unit commendation.

In Russia, where they had a five ship squadron just complete a 3 month cruise to the IO, you have the country's President directing the Defense Minister to "analyse the results of the cruise and come forward with a list of officers and seamen recommended for decoration with State awards and for various other kinds of rewards."

You may jump on me for this, but I for one almost feel happy that the Russian sailors could do something kinda difficult without having one of their ships sink or have to get towed back to port or something. It's like some rival of your favorite football team that's fallen on hard times; you might laugh at them as they continually fumble the ball, but deep down you wish they could at least make a little bit of a game of it... just for old times sake.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Main reason I got out in the early 90s. Not much competition meant a lot fewer boats to command...

12/13/2005 11:05 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

Welcome, I.F. Bubblehead! We'll be passing through this weekend on our way to Rexsburg to pick up our daughter from college.
According to this article, the Russians sent an Oscar II to chase the USS John C. Stennis around San Diego in late 1999. I was the staff Submarine Officer during that time, so if the article was true, I imagine I would have advised the Admiral that if we saw said Oscar, we should run at a flank bell straight for the periscope; if they wanted to come to our ballfield, they should be ready to play at the varsity level. If I had done so, I imagine I would have been told we couldn't to that anymore, because we didn't want to cause any problems. It's almost sad not to have any varsity level competition any more...

12/13/2005 11:17 PM

 
Blogger Bubblehead said...

In the above post, I should have specified that I was the staff Sub guy on the Stennis.

12/13/2005 11:19 PM

 
Blogger Vigilis said...

BH, the TASS article clearly makes your point "...something kinda difficult without having one of their ships sink or have to get towed back to port or something." The 5th "ship" in the Russian squadron was identified as the "tugboat Kalar."

12/14/2005 12:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home